Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery not holding charge?

Sportstest

Sportstest

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

Had a very quick search through the forums, and couldn't find a relevant answer, so hopefully someone can help, or direct me appropriately.

I have a T6 ocean, and have noticed in the past few weeks the leisure battery isn't holding charge. It tops up quite happily when being driven, but after 24-48 hrs the charge held is showing as less than 30%. (First noticed when I had to reprogram the time on the overhead console). I don't use the van daily, and I have a trip planned in a few weeks where I will probably want to wild camp, and will need fridge, and possibly heating overnight.

Pretty sure I haven't left anything plugged in or turned on (heater, fridge etc all off), any solution, or should I contact the dealer as the van is around 12 months old?

thanks in advance

Garry

Hi Garry do you charge the batteries at home off the mains or just by driving?
Does your control panel show any draw when you have the engine off i.e. Amps.
It should be about 0.2 amps? Vw recommend you plug into the mains at least once a month. Also what does the control panel read when the engine is running?

Hi Garry do you charge the batteries at home off the mains or just by driving?
Does your control panel show any draw when you have the engine off i.e. Amps.
It should be about 0.2 amps? Vw recommend you plug into the mains at least once a month. Also what does the control panel read when the engine is running?

Thanks for the prompt reply. Never charged using mains. I am fairly sure the salesman told me I wouldn't need to, unless I was on site for a few days without driving. Maybe I should have read a manual.

Not driven for a few days again, and initially battery showing as 11.8V 0.0A (20%), then as light on console came on to take a photo it dropped to 11.5V -0.2A (0%). Started engine and it jumped back to 14.2V 18.6A, then after a few mins of engine running showing 14.5V 8.8A

I can upload photos if needed.

thanks Garry

Go to your salesman today and kick his @ss ...twice , don't tell me your Cali is two years old and you never did hook it up for the night to top-up the batterys...:headbang
Thats essential , there could be offcoarse be a problem but i suggest putting it on 220v mains for 24h . Then see the next days how it evolves , if no changes have it checked out under warrenty.

Just a quick one , do you leave the engine running while operating the roof?
Your salesman probally told you it is not essential , but do try and do this.

Looks like it is charging with the engine I would plug into the mains anyway and leave it for 24 hrs to see if it improves failing that a trip back to the dealer for a replacement.

I have a similar problem but I do charge mine up. I have a flashing G and the charge picture. Anyone else know about this?!

Go to your salesman today and kick his @ss ...twice , don't tell me your Cali is two years old and you never did hook it up for the night to top-up the batterys...:headbang
Thats essential , there could be offcoarse be a problem but i suggest putting it on 220v mains for 24h . Then see the next days how it evolves , if no changes have it checked out under warrenty.

Just a quick one , do you leave the engine running while operating the roof?
Your salesman probally told you it is not essential , but do try and do this.
My two week old Cali wont let me open roof without engine running.:)

I have a similar problem but I do charge mine up. I have a flashing G and the charge picture. Anyone else know about this?!

When I had this on our 2012 it went on from flashing to stop charging altogether when plugged in. The consumer unit failed - tripped out as soon as plugged in so had it replaced.

My two week old Cali wont let me open roof without engine running.:)
Without the engine running or with the ignition On.
The ignition has to be On for the roof to be raised. I know that @hotel california says the engine should be running. That is not strictly required but the ignition does have to be ON.
All in the Handbook.

Without the engine running or with the ignition On.
The ignition has to be On for the roof to be raised. I know that @hotel california says the engine should be running. That is not strictly required but the ignition does have to be ON.
All in the Handbook.

It's my understanding that the ignition has to be on for safety reasons only, the power for lifting the roof comes from the leisure batteries. I stand to be corrected of course.

It's my understanding that the ignition has to be on for safety reasons only, the power for lifting the roof comes from the leisure batteries. I stand to be corrected of course.
You are correct. That is why I am quit happy to raise or lower roof without the engine running and just Ignition ON, but @hotel california advocates the engine running.

You are correct. That is why I am quit happy to raise or lower roof without the engine running and just Ignition ON, but @hotel california advocates the engine running.

I was told to have the engine running wilst operating the roof by CCN and so i do , i have been playing with the voltmeter also and without engine running there's indeed no power taken from the starterbattery operating the roof.
Still for me i keep engine running.
Arrive at site , position Cali , open roof , engine off.
When leaving pack-up , start engine , close roof , double check arround under the Cali if nothing has beenforgotten drive of the levelling ramps if used .
Off we go

Last edited:
I was told to have the engine running wilst operating the roof by CCN and so i do , i have been playing with the voltmeter also and without engine running there's indeed no power taken from the starterbattery operating the roof.
Still for me i keep engine running.
Arrive at site , position Cali , open roof , enginge off.
When leaving pack-up , start engine , close roof , double check arround under the Cali if nothing has beenforgotten drive of the levelling ramps if used .
Off we go
I like this methodology. Simple, thorough but just needs remembering! :thumb

Hi Rozzie50, did you ever get to the bottom of your problem? I have the same today.