Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling ramps

Agree, chock the wheels that are not on the levelling ramps is a good solution.

We very rarely turn the drivers seat because there’s normally just two of us.

It's also good practice to reverse up them in case you have to move quickly. In your case that should not be a problem in the drive.

Ride up onto the ramps untill you're in the right position and then put the handbrake on. Then put your foot on the break pedal and press it down while you release the handbrake. Now turn the chair. I can do this by myself, allthough I would not recommend it. It's easier when someone else turns the chair while you stay out of the way enough, but still keep your foot on the brakes.
We need a video of that contortionist activity! :Nailbiting ;)

In that case when placed in P - Park, the gearbox and driveline is locked. Handbrake can be taken off and the vehicle won’t run away.
Test it yourself. Find a slight incline. Come to a stop using the footbrake. Put the DSG into P and then release the footbrake, without putting handbrake On. At most the vehicle might rock a little, and I mean a little, but won’t move forward/backwards.
You could also use chocks as well. I don’t myself.

In that case when placed in P - Park, the gearbox and driveline is locked. Handbrake can be taken off and the vehicle won’t run away.
Test it yourself. Find a slight incline. Come to a stop using the footbrake. Put the DSG into P and then release the footbrake, without putting handbrake On. At most the vehicle might rock a little, and I mean a little, but won’t move forward/backwards.
You could also use chocks as well. I don’t myself.

Although it's fairly unlikely, it should be mentioned that it is possible to break or wear out the "Park" pin or pawl on an auto box. Each of them has a different design, not sure how robust the transporter ones are, I haven't seen their specific design but I have known of other car ones breaking occasionally. So if you want to be careful, then use of a chock once you are on the ramp would prevent wear or force on it. They do nice smallish plastic ones for caravans that work quite well for the job and don't take too much space. I keep my ones just tucked under the front seat.

Ride up onto the ramps untill you're in the right position and then put the handbrake on. Then put your foot on the break pedal and press it down while you release the handbrake. Now turn the chair. I can do this by myself, allthough I would not recommend it. It's easier when someone else turns the chair while you stay out of the way enough, but still keep your foot on the brakes.
Is this a joke?

Like this?

Is this a joke?

Nope, it works just fine. It's just the same thing as holding down the brakes in any other situation. Only thing is you need to be flexible ;-) And yes, like @ArunAlec mentions, it's a bit like playing twister. As said, I wouldn't recommend you do it by yourself. Much easier to hold down the brake while standing in the entrance and letting someone else turn the chair, but I manage.

Also, whats the worst that can happen? The van rolls off the levelling ramps back onto the ground.

The reason I do it, is because when I do get the van level and set it in Park, the van always does move slightly, making sure it's not level anymore.