Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling Ramps (and tyre width)

D

Dibz

VIP Member
I've been looking at 'the basics' that I might be missing now that we won't be sleeping on the ground such as hook up cable etc. The thing that potentially has me stumped is levelling ramps.

My thinking is, if I don't have any, I'm guaranteed to need some, and if I get some I will hardly ever use them (but by having some I'm preventing the need to use them as there is no opportunity for Sod's law to rule!)

So, the challenge has now come with the fact I have 235 wide tyres, which is really borderline on some of the ramps I've seen.

Any experienced folks out there that have 235 wide tyres and have found suitable ramps?

I don't fancy the Fiamma Level system Magnum Jumbo, they are wide enough (260mm) but they are massive and really heavy.

The Fiamma level up jumbo (the stepped one) is 240 wide at the base but maybe only 220 wide at the top.

The milenco triple look pretty square sided and are 245 wide so could be a good option, also have dips so might be good for handbrake off purposes too...

I'm guessing the tyre being wider than the ramp is just bad news, I don't think I would trust it, I've seen some suggest a 10mm margin on either side of the ramp but I doubt there is a ramp that wide!

Who has what and do they work?

There is every chance I'm over thinking it, so advice around actually not needing them is just as welcome! :)

I used to use ours all the time in our motorhome as there is more of a need to be level, however I have only ever used them in the Cali once, so I now leave them at home as they take up valuable space.

Same here in fact I'm thinking of taking mine to cali's on the farm and selling them :thumb

We use Milenco triples fine. Tend to put them in as the time we leave them at home we would need them.
The pockets don't hold the wheel well enough to release the handbrake. We just find a brick to chock a wheel.
Have bent one using it on uneven ground but it seems to have returned to its original shape.

Having spent last summer (tent) camping on so many sloping European sites I definitely want some ramps with me in the Cali.
So, I've decided on Milenco but can't decide between the Triples or the Quattros. Anybody got any views? Has anybody needed the extra height of the Quattros?

I have the Thule levellers, which are similar to the Milenco Triples. Because the wheelbase is relatively short on a van, the need for the deeper levellers is less likely.

For the record, I have used mine on all but a couple of occasions this year, and to my amazement was just about the only person I noticed using them, despite the gradient, at COTF.

redredzimmer said:
Because the wheelbase is relatively short on a van, the need for the deeper levellers is less likely.
Good point! I hadn't thought of that. I'd really much prefer the smaller ones as ramps take up so much space.

I couldn't find any officially wide enough for 235s but got the Thule ones; no issues so far.

I'm ramped up overlooking the bay at Looe on my Thules right now on 235/55R17 tyres
- Nick

The milenco triples have been fine for us so far, width is perfect for coverage under our 18" 235 wide wheels.

I kept the chocks that fit the fiamma level-up range and use those to chock the roll back as the wheels don't sit within the levels.

The are a good size for the boot too.

By all accounts the quattros are MASSIVE! (And would be overkill on a Cali)

Used the Thule ones for the first time this week with no issues . Compact and they come in a nice bag. Bought mine from amazon at around ÂŁ20

Dibz said:
By all accounts the quattros are MASSIVE!
They are big! Hence the question really. I'll probably go for the Triples. And thanks everyone for your replies.

If you intend doing more wild camping odds are you will need them, the ones we have are just under the tyre width (20cm Fiamma) and we have had no problems with that. Some of the ones we looked are very big and heavy, too much valuable space taken by these. I found mastering getting level on the ramps took some trail and error, first set ramps under desired wheels, drive up till level(ish) taking care not to go too high, handbrake on. If you swivel front seats you will know that to do the drivers seat the handbrake needs to be released, even with the Cali in gear it will roll back a bit unless the ramps are chocked. To get the ramps out in the morning you have to drive up the ramps a little to get the chocks out.
This sounds like a pain but it is worth a level nights sleep! sometimes we just leave the drivers seat facing forward if its just an overnight.
Lets hope the T6 has a button handbrake so the seat can be turned with the brake on.

I'd recommend the thule ramps too. We have 255 section tyres and not had any problems at all. They fit in the gap under the back seat which is an added bonus too!

Any more suggestions on levelling ramps for 235/55/17 tyres?
If just for one night chould not be a problem that tyres are wider then the lev. blocks
For a week at campsite / long periode....buy two sets and screw them against eachother:)