Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling ramps

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
We're planning our first road trip and hoping to stay on a friend's driveway overnight but it's a bit of a slope so I'm thinking of getting a pair of ramps to level the van up so we don't slide off the bed, but I'm concerned about a couple of things.

a) Will the ramps stay in place on their paved driveway or will they slide away as we try to drive up them?

And b) I'm concerned about the driving up the ramps - what's to stop me going over the top or slipping off the side?

A tyre pump / compressor is cheaper and a much simpler solution - the depth of the tyre, especially 16" wheels will give you about as much range as a pair of ramps without the worry

Difficult to say without seeing it, but generally don't overthink it as it's not all that much different to driving up/off a kerb height wise IMO. I think chocks are worth carrying, though on another thread recently several said they don't bother - mine fit nicely between the front seats.

I push them in front of the wheel/s whilst stopped & then either lean right out of the window or get a spotter to shout and wave, usually takes several goes! More advanced manoeuvres involve different heights on two different wheels - just drive onto the first one & handbrake on, then wedge the second one under a different wheel as required.

I'm sure there'll be something on YouTube ?

When I didn't have experience with Cali camping was pondering why do people need those leveling blocks.
Now I definitely know I don't need them. With each slope I find it so handy to park head up. So when sleeping in a tent you have your head higher. So more comfortable to sleep.
Always tried to put a normal tent this way as well.
The only thing I bother about is a side roll, which is easily fixed with an extra minute parking.

I know what you're saying Spook (Spock?) but I think we'll still be on a slope even with the ramps!

And no, can't find any Youtube about getting up on the ramps, maybe I'm just overthinking this and the answer is just do it!

Easy to get up ramps with a manual using clutch control. You just need to hold it on the foot rake when you are at the right level then apply the hand break. Not sure with an auto, just gentle accelerator I guess.

Just go for it, once both wheels have gripped the ramps they shouldn't move. Easier if someone is watching.

They don't move on hard surfaces.

I have gone 'over the top' when using them on my own, which is quite frightening, so it is always best to get someone to watch for you.

Alan

A tyre pump / compressor is cheaper and a much simpler solution - the depth of the tyre, especially 16" wheels will give you about as much range as a pair of ramps without the worry
Maybe in a levelling emergency - but I would think that deflating a tyre (especially if you take almost all of the air out) would damage the side wall - especially with a 2 tonne van sitting on it

I wasn't keen on that idea either.

I have seen some with an extra lip at the top so you would feel that last bit of resistance before going over the top...

I'll have a look for those, thanks! Just to give me a bit more confidence...

I just did it....very slowly. I only needed to raise one side a little. Hopefully you won't need to drive up them too far. Definitely helps if someone can watch. Good Luck

I agree that you are likely to need ramps on a sloping drive as you don't have a choice as to where you position your van.

Yes, your ramps may slip out as you begin to drive onto them, particularly on a smooth driveway.
I believe you can get extensions to some level-up ramps. Have a look at the third section of the video on this site http://www.leisureoutlet.com/carava...ks/Fiamma-Level-Up-Jumbo-Levelling-Kit_2.html Sections 1 & 2 show the ramps and the bag. Section 3 shows the anti-slip extensions.
The extensions hold the ramp in place as you drive onto them. I reckon you could make these bits yourself, maybe from a loop of polypropylene rope.

In terms of storage of the ramps inside the van, the two level-up ramps in their bag fit nicely in the space under the seat between the folded table and the side of the under-seat drawer. It's not a tight fit. The bag, hopefully, prevents damage to the table.

Thanks Sid - I have now bought those ramps, but they didn't come with a bag so they are stoed in that space without, I think they'll be fine like that for now - the extensions weren't available in the shop but someone suggested I use some old carpet underlay - and by chance, we've just had a new carpet and kept some of the underlay 'just in case' !

Thanks Sid - I have now bought those ramps, but they didn't come with a bag so they are stoed in that space without, I think they'll be fine like that for now - the extensions weren't available in the shop but someone suggested I use some old carpet underlay - and by chance, we've just had a new carpet and kept some of the underlay 'just in case' !

I bought the red Fiamma bag separately on line. I was worried about the table-top getting damaged.

I was wondering about using them on the rear. Managed to back onto them but now have an an issue with turning drivers seat around which you have to take handbrake off. This means that you then roll off ramps. Suggestions? Mike

I was wondering about using them on the rear. Managed to back onto them but now have an an issue with turning drivers seat around which you have to take handbrake off. This means that you then roll off ramps. Suggestions? Mike
Put the van in gear, it will hold it when you release the handbrake.

But then I have turn seat while in gear?
Yes - for manual gearbox / drive into ramps, turn engine off, put van in gear, release handbrake, spin seat, then engage handbrake (you can leave van in gear, it won’t cause any harm).

For auto gearbox, ‘park’ will hold van in gear, might move a tiny bit.

Ride up onto the ramps untill you're in the right position and then put the handbrake on. Then put your foot on the break pedal and press it down while you release the handbrake. Now turn the chair. I can do this by myself, allthough I would not recommend it. It's easier when someone else turns the chair while you stay out of the way enough, but still keep your foot on the brakes.