Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

License requirements for 680

No_heroes

No_heroes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Is the 680 on a cat C HGV licence or based on the changes in 1997? I assume the recent ‘additional license’ is about the total weight of the vehicle exceeding a post 1997 driving license pass?

Looking at the categories and assuming the weight is over 3,500kg, I think you are right that those drivers who attained their licences after 1996 will need to pass a test for a medium sized vehicle. No mention on the DVLA website of this being specific to a HGV, just weight based.
Category C1
You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg MAM (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Older drivers need to check too as DVLA have a habit of dropping some extra categories off of a licence is reissued after 70. A friend of mine had a similar problem after declaring diabetes to DVLA and had quite a fight to get back his original classes.

I had a coach built motorhome which was based on the twin wheeled Ford Transit chassis (Luton/Tipper etc.) They are plated at 3500kgs so a current driving licence is ok I think (stand to be corrected) I had it uprated at the dealer before collection to 3850kgs to increase the permissible payload. This did not require any modifications to the vehicle, it was just a paperwork exercise. It was then taxed as a Private HGV. Which was more cost effective at the time. I seem to remember speed limits applied which did not bother me as was towing most of the time and anything above 60mph hit fuel consumption anyway.

If it's based on the CR30/35 anyone with a cat B licence can drive it.

If it's based on the CR50 You'll have had to have passed your test before 1-1-97 or hold a cat C1 or higher.

After note:

The reviews I've just had a look at all say it's FWD with a 4motion option, the CR50 is RWD only so I'm taking a guess based on reviews and not real date from VW as I cannot find a brochure, that it is indeed the CR30/35 which anyone with a car (cat B) licence can drive.

Hope this helps.

It does help. I passed in 95 and have the C1 which I believe is up to 7500kg so I should be good. I’m interested to know- the big motorhomes must be on HGV licenses.

I would like to update my answer, just been watching a video with both the 600 and 680. The 680 is 3.88t, so you will need a class 2 cat C1 for the 680, regardless of you have 4motion or not.

Most big whites with single rear wheels or axle, are just cat. B. They are all licensed up to 3500 kg maximum.
So why would a GC, based on a Crafter exceed that weight?
You just have to be sure that it is licensed to a max weight of 3500 kg.

There is probably not one single big white less than 3500 kg driving around when it's packed up for holidays.
And that is just with a cardboard around the driver. We still have a full steel housing around us, making an empty Ocean weighing almost 2600 kg.

So I have a 680. By selecting 4Motion it moves it from 3.5 to 3.88 tons, therefore you need a C or C1 to drive it.
So, it depends on how happy you get with the options list!

According to the press information, all 680's in the UK will be 3.88tons, so whether you have 4motion or not unfortunately you'll need the C1 license. It's only the 600 that'll be available as a 3.5ton.

I brought a Horsebox to transport my daughters horse in this year. We needed a large box as the horse is 17.1 hands which is big. All the 3.5 tonne ones were much more expensive that the 7.5 tonne ones. I was lucky that both my wife and I have the older licences so are able to drive 7.5 tonnes. The reason for the cost difference I believe is the limited market. Also whilst the road tax is cheaper the plating test is about £150 and I think it needs to be done each year from year one. You also need to be wary of large weight of the vehicle once it is full of food water diesel equipment and people. These facts may reduce the resale value of these vehicles.

Back