Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lifes a beach

gareth230380

gareth230380

Vehicle
T5 Beach
We picked up T5 beach on Friday and went straight out. The wife said she was worried about driving it as its huge compared to her mini. We stopped of a coffee by the coast and googled the dimensions and couldn't believe its the same size as my X5 which she happily runs around in. That was it, she took the keys and I've not had a drive since.

We went for a beach as with 2 dogs and a toddler, we wanted the interior space and practicality for day trips. That said, its flexible enough we are sure to be able to have family camping trips in it. After our first weekend, we now have a shopping list for essentials and upgrades and we're looking forward to making it our own.

One instant thing about the van which perplexes me is how can it have a "multiflex" rear board which only has a single position and is not flexible in anyway - why would VW make it so impractical.... You can't fold it to put the seats down and the height is all wrong and needs to be adjustable to put bigger items under it.

Can't wait to get out in it more and explore the UK this year!

You could try this:

Welcome to the 2-seat Beach club. Let's see some pics!

I know exactly what you mean about the "Multiflex" board, what a ridiculous thing to call it. It couldn't be less flexible.

These days if we're packing for a big camping trip we take off the comfort mattress and load up underneath and on top of the board and then put the mattress on the top.

Welcome to the 2-seat Beach club. Let's see some pics!

I know exactly what you mean about the "Multiflex" board, what a ridiculous thing to call it. It couldn't be less flexible.

These days if we're packing for a big camping trip we take off the comfort mattress and load up underneath and on top of the board and then put the mattress on the top.
I’ve set my local blacksmith to work making a folding frame to allow the seats to go back another 30cm with the board in place, plus will be adjustable from standard height + raise up 20cm. See attached. Once built will post picks of it.

Attachments

• VW California Beach Multiflex.pdf
    137.5 KB · Views: 43
I was going to point you in the direction of the DIY adaptation, but was beaten to it!
There's several options on these pages.

We picked up T5 beach on Friday and went straight out. The wife said she was worried about driving it as its huge compared to her mini. We stopped of a coffee by the coast and googled the dimensions and couldn't believe its the same size as my X5 which she happily runs around in. That was it, she took the keys and I've not had a drive since.

We went for a beach as with 2 dogs and a toddler, we wanted the interior space and practicality for day trips. That said, its flexible enough we are sure to be able to have family camping trips in it. After our first weekend, we now have a shopping list for essentials and upgrades and we're looking forward to making it our own.

One instant thing about the van which perplexes me is how can it have a "multiflex" rear board which only has a single position and is not flexible in anyway - why would VW make it so impractical.... You can't fold it to put the seats down and the height is all wrong and needs to be adjustable to put bigger items under it.

Can't wait to get out in it more and explore the UK this year!
:welcome Have you got the 3 or 2 rear seater?
Love your wife’s style :) wishing you many happy adventures from a fellow Beach owner.

Just a note to the OP: people are asking if you have a 2 or 3 seat bench because the 3 seater multi flex and bed are higher, and the multi flex is foldable.

The OP said in post #3 he has a 2 seat bench.

Last edited:
Back