Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lifting roof cover / topper

Old Sid

Old Sid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Okay, I think I need one of these. I've found two different makes on line - Khyam and Comfortz offered through this forum. The Shyam one appears to be fabric lined and is under £200 + £11 postage, the Comtortz one isn't lined and is more expensive. There may be other makes out there too.
I like the idea of a lining but I also like the idea of having no windows. I also like the idea of a speedy delivery as I might need it fairly soon. I have a T6 Ocean.

So, has anyone got and experience of using these? Which should I consider? I guess it's all down to functionality and quality. Opinions gratefully received. Thank you.

I would stay well clear of the kyham as as far as I am concerned it has a big design fault it slides into the passenger side awning rail and is then thrown over the top of the roof mine got caught whilst raising the roof causing it to buckle
And ripping the cover. It is also made in china. The calitopper is a better fit safer and make in the uk with a guarantee.

I have a comfortz topper made from the same material as their windscreen cover works well and also looks good and it matches the windscreen cover

I have the Khyam and quite happy with it, seems good value and well made. The lined fabric does make it a bit bulkier when packed than some other toppers.

(Incidentally Calikev, I wouldn't agree that something UK-made necessarily better quality than Chinese. Maybe 20 years ago but not today.)

+1 for the Comfortz Cali topper, the big advantage for us is you can store it in with the chairs in the tailgate so you can just forget about it, we saw the Khyam one at the NEC and it is huge by comparison and the size is an issue for us as it is something we only use occasionally.

+1 for the Comfortz Cali topper, the big advantage for us is you can store it in with the chairs in the tailgate so you can just forget about it, we saw the Khyam one at the NEC and it is huge by comparison and the size is an issue for us as it is something we only use occasionally.

I do agree about the bulkiness of the Khyam when packed and like you Victor we very rarely actually use the topper anyway. In practice, if the weather is that bad we just sleep downstairs and who really wants to fight with a bunch of wet fabric in the rain? And if the wind is blowing strongly we don't to have the pop-top up because it buffets the van whether or not the topper is on.

Of the various accessories we've bought, the topper is for us the least essential.

We've had the Comfortz topper for almost four years now. It fits well and is reasonably easy to put on, except when really windy, although as others have said, you may not have the roof up if it's blowing a gale. It does keep your fabric dry and retains the heat to an extent and folds down quite small. A good standby when you need it.

Looks like the Comfortz then. I still like the idea of the extra insulation that might be offered by the Khyam though. We've had a few chilly nights away this winter and one night when horizontal rain came through the top mesh vents.
I do like the idea that the Comfortz can be ordered without the plastic windows.
Thanks for all the info so far. :)

I think the thermal insulation provided by a topper is chiefly a factor of the 'cavity wall' effect - ie the air trapped between the bellows and the topper fabric (even though it's obviously not airtight). I'd guess that the type of fabric used doesn't make so much difference.

Sid, I'm assuming you're also aware of the 'internal toppers' that are now available? They have the advantage that they can stay in place full-time. So if staying warm upstairs is your concern, that might well be a better option for you.

We just rely on a good goose-down duvet. And as I said, on really wild nights we stay downstairs.

I have a rootless version of the comfortz topper, with Windows, it is nice to be able to check on the weather from bed, especially if its snowing.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. The information has been very helpful.
I have been able to conclude that both products are okay and that the main difference (apart from price) is that the Comfortz topper is less bulky to store. I also gather that fitting the topper over the roof might be a bit easier with the Comfortz.
So, I've ordered the Comfortz one and was very surprised to hear it will be delivered tomorrow. Good going!

Hope you stay warm and snug Sid. Or we all get more of this lovely spring weather so we won't need any extra layers! :D

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. The information has been very helpful.
I have been able to conclude that both products are okay and that the main difference (apart from price) is that the Comfortz topper is less bulky to store. I also gather that fitting the topper over the roof might be a bit easier with the Comfortz.
So, I've ordered the Comfortz one and was very surprised to hear it will be delivered tomorrow. Good going!
Good choice - and fitting it is all about the technic whatever the weather :thumb

I have a rootless version of the comfortz topper, with Windows, it is nice to be able to check on the weather from bed, especially if its snowing.

David Allan, you may have your own opinion on this so why do you not contribute instead of just being negative?

Well, we now have the cover.
1. It appears to be very well made. The fabric is thick and looks like it will be hard wearing. Eyelets look robust.
2. Fitting was easy although I did use a step-stool. I fitted it on my own on a windy day. No problems.
3. The angles and dimensions are all good. It fits very snuggly and didn't flap much in the wind.
4. All the fittings work well.
I know this will get a lot of use. Thanks again for all the info & advice.

Back