Light coloured calis cooler inside?

thehorse

thehorse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
interesting article below....
http://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-white-cars-cooler.html

I know darker colours get hotter, but a 5-6 degree in cabin temperature is quite significant.

Hired a Cali recently where the October sun wasn't an issue, but just wondering how owners with dark coloured Calis get on in the summer.

Was thinking of ordering bamboo green, but now wondering if silver would be more practical.

Don't think it's only the color , lots of other factors involved.
If black is hotter than why do they all wear black curtains in the
desserts.

Don't think it's only the color , lots of other factors involved.
If black is hotter than why do they all wear black curtains in the
desserts.

and black tents.

Black protects from UV ( you rarely see bedouin with sunburn) and also helps hold in moisture, very important for desert dwellers who often exist on less moisture intake than westerners.

The goat hair tent (beit sha'r) is also ingenious in that it tends to suck in air with it's loose weave and keep water out when it swells, and of course it also assists with heat transfer at night when the desert can become bitterly cold.

I know darker colours get hotter, but a 5-6 degree in cabin temperature is quite significant.

Hired a Cali recently where the October sun wasn't an issue, but just wondering how owners with dark coloured Calis get on in the summer.

Was thinking of ordering bamboo green, but now wondering if silver would be more practical.
And in winter? Car colder if light colour?
Possibly something to consider if I lived on the equator, but I don't.

Having had both I can't say that we found any noticable difference inside the van. No doubt there was but certainly not something to worry about. I guess the aircon works well.
Bodywork temperature definitely a massive difference though. Our Olympic Blue parked next to cousins Silver one in bright sun could have fried an egg on our bonnet but silver one just slightly warm.

Very Interesting thread. Car body temperature was something I considered when I ordered my Cali. During my days in the wilderness, when I was still considering a Transporter conversion, I went to Danbury's just outside Bristol. They had all sorts of colours in their yard and I happened to brush up against a black Transporter - it was ridiculously hot - and that was in the good old British summer (2016) - it got me thinking. In a non scientific test I then conducted plain white was the coolest by a significant margin. I could place my hand on the bonnet and keep it there. With other colours you couldn't keep your hand on the bonnet without it burning you. The darkest was the hottest as you might expect. It didn't seem to make a huge difference if the colour was metallic, they were as hot as solid colours which was a little surprise for me. For what its worth and following this little test I was going to order white but was swayed by all sorts of other factors and ordered Acapulco Blue!:)

Very Interesting thread. Car body temperature was something I considered when I ordered my Cali. During my days in the wilderness, when I was still considering a Transporter conversion, I went to Danbury's just outside Bristol. They had all sorts of colours in their yard and I happened to brush up against a black Transporter - it was ridiculously hot - and that was in the good old British summer (2016) - it got me thinking. In a non scientific test I then conducted plain white was the coolest by a significant margin. I could place my hand on the bonnet and keep it there. With other colours you couldn't keep your hand on the bonnet without it burning you. The darkest was the hottest as you might expect. It didn't seem to make a huge difference if the colour was metallic, they were as hot as solid colours which was a little surprise for me. For what its worth and following this little test I was going to order white but was swayed by all sorts of other factors and ordered Acapulco Blue!:)

My current car has a panoramic roof. It acts like a greenhouse and is incredibly hot inside when parked in the sun. We took the heat reflective properties of pale colours into consideration when ordering grape yellow.

Reactions: wyn
My current car has a panoramic roof. It acts like a greenhouse and is incredibly hot inside when parked in the sun. We took the heat reflective properties of pale colours into consideration when ordering grape yellow.
I'm glad it is not just me who considered this point when ordering my Cali. My better half thought I was getting close to having OCD!

Coping with heat is very individual, and all circumstances you use the car in has effect. We had the color thought, but realized, during our 4 weeks travel in southern Europe, that our Indium Grey was not that bad at all. When camping, we always searched the shade, like every one else – not matter if in tent or big whites. When on the road the AC does the job. Only really issue is when parking in the sun. And our experience was not a noticeable differed in other cars we have uses during time – they all get significant hot. Actually the Cali seems more easy to cool down in a snap, big doors and a breeze the air is changes really fast.

The motoring club VAB did an interesting test, using black cars and a white one.
After two hours baking in the sun, the temperature in the black ones rose very quickly to 31 degrees Celsius. The white car reached 29 C.
After six hours of blasting sun, the black ones reached 50 C., and the white car had 46 C.

So, the differences are not that big. It' s a matter of hours before white cars also heat up considerably. The effect of the white colour keeps them a little bit cooler in the beginning, but in the end every car heats up.

What didn't work at all, was blinding the windshield with a silver screen. This only keeps the steering wheel somewhat less hot. It hardly did influence the temperature inside.

What made a huge difference though, was opening the windows a little bit for ventilation. This effect however was the same in white and black cars.

Regards from freezing Amsterdam,

Marc.

This has been discussed before , in the end any car wil get to hot afther sevral hours in the sun , sure colors have influence on it .
Just , as said above , try to look for shade cover the front windshields on the outside witch wil certainly make a big diffrence than a shield on the inside.
And ventilate ....

Just pick a color you like :D

Hi thehorse, if you are brave you can do like me and order this. The best of both worlds!!Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 21.02.25.png

We ordered a white cali after owning a black car over 6 years.
Can easily compare 2 now. Darker colors are a problem even when driving. Even with climate running you still feel the heat. How many time we have almost burnt hands putting them on a vehicle body outside when driving ;)

@Tony Beretta , don't think the two-tone Cali is availeble in the UK

@Sp0_0k , if i was signing a order today it would be a white Edition ....soooo cool , was just checking out one this weekend at my dealer .
Also the white wardrobes are cooler in the summer....:D

@Tony Beretta , don't think the two-tone Cali is availeble in the UK

@Sp0_0k , if i was signing a order today it would be a white Edition ....soooo cool , was just checking out one this weekend at my dealer .
Also the white wardrobes are cooler in the summer....:D
Pity they don't do two-tone Calis for the UK. They don't do the nice 18" Retro Alloys either.

Maybe a dark colour also helps to extend the camping season. Would be interesting to do a comparison in November in the UK.

I believe that there is some sort of coating that can change colour with an electrical charge applied. Perhaps it will be on the T7 option list. ;)

I believe that there is some sort of coating that can change colour with an electrical charge applied. Perhaps it will be on the T7 option list. ;)
Would be really cool to have that blackout glass at the press of a button too! Another T7 option?

Would be really cool to have that blackout glass at the press of a button too! Another T7 option?
As long as it only works with "Ignition Off".:D

We ordered a white cali after owning a black car over 6 years.
Can easily compare 2 now. Darker colors are a problem even when driving. Even with climate running you still feel the heat. How many time we have almost burnt hands putting them on a vehicle body outside when driving ;)
I never put my hands on the outside of the vehicle while driving - do you really?

Yea, dont see a problem with that. People put the heads outside in cabrios ;D

I know the state of California in the US were thinking about banning black cars based on environmental concerns - Black cars need the A/C running harder and use more fuel. Not so worried about this, it is more an issue of being parked up with the A/C off and getting hot.

Been thinking about this again. Most of the heating effect inside would come through the roof so I'm guessing the mattress will insulate against this to a good degree, and the effect of a dark Cali should be nowhere as bad as in a car. Maybe I can go for the starlight blue after all!

Been thinking about this again. Most of the heating effect inside would come through the roof so I'm guessing the mattress will insulate against this to a good degree, and the effect of a dark Cali should be nowhere as bad as in a car. Maybe I can go for the starlight blue after all!
And in the Winter?

Won't be any difference in the winter as the sun is pretty weak.

Back