Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Light coloured calis cooler inside?

Won't be any difference in the winter as the sun is pretty weak.
Not as weak as you think, but light colours reflect and dark absorb, so during winter on a cold sunny day one could postulate that a dark coloured vehicle could be warmer than a light coloured vehicle.

Personally I think the difference is immaterial. I get the colour I'm happy with or want.

Been thinking about this again. Most of the heating effect inside would come through the roof so I'm guessing the mattress will insulate against this to a good degree, and the effect of a dark Cali should be nowhere as bad as in a car. Maybe I can go for the starlight blue after all!
I would think that most of the heating effect inside would come through the glass.

Ive got a black van, my experience in 40+ degrees in Spain.:

With the windows shut & the engine running - driving the basic aircon keeps the interior at a comfortable temperature.

With the windows or roof vents open and engine off and a curtain/screen over the windscreen i.e. camping - the interior temperature stays the same as the outside temp.

With windows shut, engine off & no aircon - i.e. parked, the temperature inside does increase but it cools down pretty rapidly when driving off.

So for us any difference in temperature between light & dark is irrelevant.

The only usage I can see where it may make a difference is where you leave the van closed up all day parked in the sun with windows shut roof down etc & then camp in it without turning on the engine to run the aircon.

I have a white panel van and I can park it on a sunny day, back doors pointing toward the sun, and leave our dog sitting in the drivers seat with no worries of it getting too hot for her. Not so with our silver Cali which, under the same circumstances gets far to hot to leave the dog for even a few minutes. Which makes me think that it's the glass rather than the colour which heats up the insides.

With double glazing, unless it is specifically coated to reflect heat, it is more designed to keep heat in rather than keep it out, so I imagine it will further increase the inside temperature.

I have a white panel van and I can park it on a sunny day, back doors pointing toward the sun, and leave our dog sitting in the drivers seat with no worries of it getting too hot for her. Not so with our silver Cali which, under the same circumstances gets far to hot to leave the dog for even a few minutes. Which makes me think that it's the glass rather than the colour which heats up the insides.

With double glazing, unless it is specifically coated to reflect heat, it is more designed to keep heat in rather than keep it out, so I imagine it will further increase the inside temperature.
Hi Keith, I think you will find that DG both keeps heat/cool in or out irrespective of which side of the DG you are. DG is a thermal barrier. JW

Not sure if this will help or not but it is a spreadsheet that was posted on the forum and which I used to help me decide on choosing the laminate glass pack. I chose it for the sound and safety.

Attachments

• T6 Glass Options.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 15
Not sure if this will help or not but it is a spreadsheet that was posted on the forum and which I used to help me decide on choosing the laminate glass pack. I chose it for the sound and safety.
Thanks Mike - interesting!

Back