Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lighter on hob

B

Billtinsley

VIP Member
Has anybody had problem with the push switch mine has never worked

The rearmost burner never lights without the front one lit on ours.

Never been brilliant tone honest. .. Also very noisy clicking if others still asleep in van.

I tend to use a BBQ lighter simply because it's always in the drawer, is nearly silent and always works.

Very variable.

It has to be completely dry.

A box of matches is quite reliable.

thanks for that I agree a bbq lighter is probably the best answer, :D thanks bill candycal

It worked perfectly on my California kitchen install into my old T5, however, on our 2010 Cali it is rubbish. They Ignite eventually but the build up of gas makes for quite a combustion!

Ours worked intermittently from new (2012 facelift model), sometimes no problem, other times would not light.

Kept a close eye on it, if the burner rings are wet (our kettle used to drip when pouring) then they wouldn't work, so I had to eliminate this from the list of possible causes.

Was intermittent on both burners, my wife got burnt a couple of times whilst trying to light when the gas was running and it didn't ignite initially.

I got fed up with the fault, for a purpose made camper costing in excess of £50k the lack of correct gas burner operation was pretty fundamental!!

so we took it back to the dealer last month and they replaced the igniter under warranty. Apparently the latest version is slightly different to ours.

Haven't had a weekend away since it was replaced, so will have to report back at a later date.

Took advice and have now got a hand held lighter so much better and reliable and most of all no noise, VW wanted £170 to fit a new one, and to be off road for a couple of days while kitchen unit was taken out to fix, although I love my Cali I have found a few irritating niggles in the product, this is one of them, another the top bed light rubbish broken twice now at the base, replaced that my self with a led flush light, the fixings on the fridge top get loose and are a pain in the backside to fix if they come apart, the bolts on the camping seats go missing and again get loose, I know they are all very trivial, but should be addressed when you spend £52 grand on a vehicle, the problem is I almost feel now that it is better to fix the problems yourself and get advice from this site, although the same attitude as my dealer is present,eg what's wrong with a box of matches, maybe I'm being too fussy ? However to most if you thanks for the positives !!! Candy cal bill :D

Very wise words
I know they are all very trivial, but should be addressed when you spend £52 grand on a vehicle, the problem is I almost feel now that it is better to fix the problems yourself and get advice from this site, although the same attitude as my dealer is present,eg what's wrong with a box of matches, maybe I'm being too fussy ?

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Especially when you factor in the collateral damage caused by incompetent or unduly rushed mechanics butchering your vehicle in an apparent arms race between colleagues to see who can get away with the worst destruction.

Despite all the problems with my Cali. The gas ignition system has never failed so far. Very noisy though. Posted whilst touching wood and reminding The Lord of the good deeds I have done.

To replace the hob/ignite does not involve taking the kitchen unit out. We have replaced one here and it is fairly straight forward. You would have to have a gas safety check afterwards as the gas system will have been removed, disconnected and put back again.

cheers