Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quick DSG question

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
With the headlight on should the gear section character PRNDS on the gear stick light up? It's our first DSG and my wife said that she was surprised it didn't light up so you knew what you where selecting in the dark (although the dash display does tell you). The characters do seem to be translucent so wondered whether its a switch or setting? I have tried the dimmer switch but whilst that controlled everything else ok it didn't change the PRNDS. I also wondering about the cubby hole in the comfort dash with the push opening lid and cigarette lighter doesn't appear to light up either, not sure whether it should either.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it lights up or not! but I trust you've tested it after it got dark as the Edition has auto lights? Or did you try after turning the lights on manually?

Must say I have never noticed but why would she need to look at the gear stick to know what gear she is in as it shows on the dash.

You can hardly see the PRNDS letters anyway as they are mostly hidden from the driver behind the gear lever.
Made for a left hand drive vehicle I assume.

Well when I hired a DSG Ocean a couple of years ago, I drove to South of Spain and back.. I never noticed.. my wife didn't drive the hire on the holiday. To be fair with the comfort lighting the Cali cab does light up like a 70's cocktail bar so it's a fair assumption!

Well when I hired a DSG Ocean a couple of years ago, ....
A couple of years ago?
The Ocean has been built since the end of 2015.
Must been a T5 Comfortline then!

Very strange... like saying me, my wife and a half a person are a couple

Oh I am sorry, Rippers you are not a native speaker!
„A couple“ is also a synonym for „a few“

With the headlight on should the gear section character PRNDS on the gear stick light up? It's our first DSG and my wife said that she was surprised it didn't light up so you knew what you where selecting in the dark (although the dash display does tell you). The characters do seem to be translucent so wondered whether its a switch or setting? I have tried the dimmer switch but whilst that controlled everything else ok it didn't change the PRNDS. I also wondering about the cubby hole in the comfort dash with the push opening lid and cigarette lighter doesn't appear to light up either, not sure whether it should either.
Mine lights up, but it's a T5.1. Can't believe VW would have removed the bulb on the T6!

Mine is a T6 2017 and it lights up day and night and I do look at it. Yes it does also show on the dash but I look at the lit up bit as I am changing gear.

My little cubby hole with the torch in doesnt however light up.

A couple of years ago?
The Ocean has been built since the end of 2015.
Must been a T5 Comfortline then!
Oh really? For me a couple of years should be more then 2,5 years...

Seeing as you are being pedantic for some reason that only you can explain.. by your own logic 2.5 years ago is would be January 2016.. and seeing as they have been available in the UK since end of 2015 I could by your logic technically have hired a DSG Ocean and driven it to South of Spain and back a couple of cundf years ago.

Mine is a T6 2017 and it lights up day and night and I do look at it. Yes it does also show on the dash but I look at the lit up bit as I am changing gear.

My little cubby hole with the torch in doesnt however light up.

Thank you Mike on both points, I wonder if this was a MY18 change. Can anyone with a MY18 confirm whether their DSG light up please

Thank you Mike on both points, I wonder if this was a MY18 change. Can anyone with a MY18 confirm whether their DSG light up please
Yes, it lights up on MY18, but is dimable along with other dash lights. If turned low, then it’s virtually off.

Dial to alter dim level is right hand side of the steering column tucked away out of sight normally.

Yes, it lights up on MY18, but is dimable along with other dash lights. If turned low, then it’s virtually off.

Dial to alter dim level is right hand side of the steering column tucked away out of sight normally.

I did alter the dimmer and it made no difference.. out of interest what colour do they light up, also do all of the gears light up or just the one selected?

Thanks!

Each letter does light up when selected.

20180708_173012.jpg

So it sounds like if lighting on or off on MY 17 - 18 possibly more, that the gear selected does light up on the DSG ....

Looks like my ever observant wife has spotted a fault. Will be on the case with the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks, did you have any lights on or anything?

Sorry, missed this..
I just had the Auto lightswitch selected but only the DRLs would of been on.

Back