Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

List of restricted areas for Older T4 in different countries around Europe

la Bollito

la Bollito

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello people,
Where or how can I find out where there are restricted areas for my 2001 T4. I know some cities wont allow older diesel van in certain areas. I hope to go road tripping around Europe this summer and would love to have this info to save me any undue hassle.
many thanks
ro

......er........www?

This should be a good starting point:
https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/european-low-emission-zones

My 2.5 T4, which I imported from Germany, already had a DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) fitted and I have the 'green sticker' required for German LE zones, but suppose unless you're planning on specifically spending a lot of time in such cities then I think that would be overkill - but the reason for pointing this out is to show that these old tubs can bend the rules in their favour ;)

Curtesy of an ACSI email here is a link to the latest European Emission Zone information by country. https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/blog...57d922a0219ec2da6d981d0aed0fb8e486638ac229c5f
A complete Diesel ban in those German cities will not only affect older T4s... This is going to become something as important as checking you have your seat-belt on when you travel within the next years... As 'Hotel' says, checking each destination for restrictions will be essential to avoid being fined. If the Brussels LEZ is anything to go by, the signage is not always clear, so make sure you do your homework. ANPR cameras will automatically find and fine you so it won't be something you will be able to avoid...

Until now, generally these zones don't affect those city's surrounding motorways, so simply not entering the city was a good way to avoid problems, but in Essen (Germany), I think I'm right in saying that they passed (or will pass soon) a Diesel ban on a section of highway, this indeed complicates matters so plan your trips well...

There's an opportunity out there for someone to make some money if they could build an app that will make sure you're not going to drive into one of these zones unwittingly ;)

BELGIUM (Brussels) LEZ update:
My 2001 T4 would have found itself blacklisted from the Brussels LEZ on 31/12/2019. As we live within the zone this would have been problematic...

As luck would have it, the Brussels LEZ has an exemption available (upon request and approval) for vehicles classed as motor-homes. See the link: https://lez.brussels/en/content/exemptions

I applied for our exemption, simply providing a copy of the vehicle's registration document and photo's proving the van's motor-home's credentials (as per their description of motor-home: "Motorhomes (as defined in the highway code – Category M SA): This therefore includes special-use vehicles falling within Category M, which are designed to be used for accommodation and whose living compartment contains the following facilities as a minimum: seats and a table, berths which can be created with or without seats, a kitchen area, storage areas. These facilities must be irremovable, but the table may be designed to be easily foldable."

Within a week I received the approval and exemption from the LEZ... Result :thumb

Exemption is for 3 years and subject to renewal at the end of that period. I think though for the LEZ in Antwerp there isn't such an exemption process available??

Anyway, hope this is maybe useful info to anyone with the same issue...

Eeeek, this is something I had never even considered. Jeez, worlds gone mad hasn't it ! Don't they know how much energy is wasted when an old car is scrapped rather than used ??

Just download the app: green-zones

Back