Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lithium leisure leisure battries

homerorchid

homerorchid

VIP Member
Would be interested in people's opinions about this message I sent to "RoadPro" and their reply:

"Would your engineers be able to fit 2 lithium batteries in our 2019 VW CALIFORNIA Ocean campervan to replace the 2 lead iron leisure batteries. On the California forum website some people seem to suggest that due to the existing built in charger/inverter it can't be done"

"Thank you for getting in touch with such an interesting question. The answer is that it can be done! We would do this by simply bypassing the original wiring and starting from scratch. This works. If you’d like to proceed with this, we’d love to do the job so just let me know."

The simpler answer would be, replace the factory Split charge relay with a dc-dc charger with a LiFePO4 charging profile.
There are some new LiFePO4 batteries with built-in charge controllers as well.

Due to the staggering cost of these batteries, the DC-DC charger would be a drop in the ocean..

See my post on replacing the relay if you are interested. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...arger-to-replace-vw-split-charge-relay.23466/

Would be interested in people's opinions about this message I sent to "RoadPro" and their reply:

"Would your engineers be able to fit 2 lithium batteries in our 2019 VW CALIFORNIA Ocean campervan to replace the 2 lead iron leisure batteries. On the California forum website some people seem to suggest that due to the existing built in charger/inverter it can't be done"

"Thank you for getting in touch with such an interesting question. The answer is that it can be done! We would do this by simply bypassing the original wiring and starting from scratch. This works. If you’d like to proceed with this, we’d love to do the job so just let me know."
Certainly can be done as @Loz said, but you might find that VW might cancel the Warranty related to the 12v Leisure Circuit and possibly everything related to it, fridge, lights, parking heater and hydraulic roof. If they did, and you had a problem, the onus would be on you to prove that the wiring changes weren't responsible.
Resale value might be affected also.

My question is why would you does the ocean not work with the standard batteries ?

Thanks for your reply's. Think the warranty issue would make the idea a no no at this stage. We wanted all the benefits of Lithium batteries, also I need to book Cali in as percentage never goes above 50%, neither following a drive or whilst on hook-up "I'm not at all technically minded"

I wouldn't recommend it either.
The only pro is a big weight saving.

Cons are expensive, requires a balancing charger, can be ruined by letting cell voltage fall below 2.8V/cell, quite volatile chemistry which could lead to fire if punctured / abused / accident, don't like being kept above 75% storage charge, relatively high self discharge...

They are great for high discharge currents where a weight saving is beneficial and a high discharge / charge cycle is required, not really a leisure battery scenario, where 100% charge is required to last with a low discharge rate.

I think if you need lots of high powered stuff and the ability to use more of the capacity, they make sense, people who run mobile editing suites or big power large draw items. I do tend to agree though I don't really want such volatile under my seat. If you are just running fridge, heater and charging a few things, I personally think solar panels are better value for money combined with the standard batteries. 200w of solar will see you good in most situations.

Kombi life youtube channel had them and they caught fire whilst in storage and pretty much destroyed the van. As said above they also don't like being fully charged either. https://kombilife.com/vw-bus-rescue-mission/ skip to 4min 09

Bear Grylls demonstrated how to start a fire quickly with a dead phone battery, lithium is very volatile in contact with water (and air to a degree). It shows how they go when they go, I dont fancy a really big one. Skip to 1min 20s

The Lithium Polymer batteries shown in the video above are a different chemistry to the Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries suggested for use as leisure batteries.
The LiFePo4 batteries are a lot safer than LiPo.
I'd suggest that the reason your current Lead Acid/AGM leisure battery is not getting charged above 50% is because of the smart alternator in the EU6 VW, if VW have only fitted a simple split charge relay and not a DC-DC charge controller then you're going to have a continued risk of not enough charge being put into the leisure battery.

Thanks for your reply Grim Reaper, thought it was a bit strange that sales people were pluging the lithium leisure batteries at recent campervan/motorhome show we went to if they are so dangerous. As for 50% charge issue I've booked Cali in for a check up, all a bit strange the Cali was new in March and to date it's only done 500 miles thanks again. By the way I haven't got money to burn just find researching new tech interesting

thought it was a bit strange that sales people were pluging the lithium leisure batteries at recent campervan/motorhome show we went to if they are so dangerous.

Hahahahaha. Sweet. The clue's in the job title.
;)

Hi, reason you seem to consider Lithium as original gelmat ones not performing, we have just done a 6000ml trip over 5 weeks with intermittent elec hook ups and even after 2 days off grid batteries still at 80% and fridge set at max, get charging circuits checked rather than a dangerous and expensive Lithium route (they even managed to set fire to a £100m 'dreamliner' plane with those things!!!!!!!!
Bob