Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery advice

J

jpmcqAndRory1

Vehicle
T5 Beach
I have been reading through some of the older posts regarding leisure batteries and it has helped but looking for confirmation that I have understood it.

I have recently purchased a 2014 T5.1 Bluemotion California beach and originally was intending to just install a Victron bluetooth smart shunt. However, I am now of the opinion that it's probably best to replace the existing leisure battery whilst I'm at it because it's 10 years old and non AGM. I am also thinking that I would like to add a second leisure battery under the passenger seat and an inverter for when not on hook up.

I have checked the starter battery and that is AGM so the voltage should be ok for me to replace the existing leisure battery with an AGM one? No need for a smart alternator?

The advice seems to be to replace with the Varta 80ah AGM battery and assuming that's what I would have under the passenger seat also, I would be limited to 1500kw inverter? You will not be able to use the full 1500kw when using the inverter so I wouldn't be able to use an air fryer that is rated at 1496kw for example?

Lastly, are there any newer AGM batteries, with higher ah, that will fit underneath the seats?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20230613_142135_resized_20230613_093432901.jpgStarter battery

IMG_20230613_142841_resized_20230613_093432310.jpg
Leisure battery

Wishfull thinking.
I t is better not to discharge the batteries much lower than 50% , especially with high currents. This means you have in your case 80 Ah at your disposal to convert With 2 80Ah batteries.
The power is limited by the max current the battery can deliver and the fuses in the circuit. Let say there is a 100A fuse, then max power battery can deliver is 100A x 12V=1200W , with efficiency of 90% the converter can only deliver 1200 x 0.9=1080 W before fuse blows. On top of that this power can only be delivered during 0.8h or 48min Before capacity is below 50%.
you talk about 1500kw but you mean 1500w not 15000 I hope.
Cali is not suitable for what you have in mind. leisure batteries are for fridge, interior lights, auxiliary heater etc.. Vw built in a converter in ocean model enough to charge a laptop or other low power device that has no 12Vdc input.

Last edited: