Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lithium upgrade, German videos.

G

G-A-R-Y

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I've watched a few videos where they fit Lithium under the bonnet and go into the vehicle software and change battery type to Lithium, apparently the starter battery can handle this. I wondered about the onboard battery (240v) charger. Solar charger can be altered easily.
It's all in German so not 100% understood.

It’s a hotly debated subject especially on the German forums with folks on both sides of the do/dont argument equally vocal. Certainly people can and do fit lithium as a direct swap out and do nothing else relying on the lithium’s onboard BMS to sort things out, others tweak the max charging current the alternator supplies via the OBD2 port (there are a few posts on the various forums on how to do that) to suit the lithium setup and some also fit batteries with heating given where they are. BUT there is an equally vociferous group that says it’s an absolute NO NO as the charging profile is wrong as it’s designed for AGM and a simple split charge relay setup with the starter AGM and under the bonnet is no place for a lithium battery. Also to bear in mind is the control panel will be unable to tell the status of the battery accurately as it’s set for a 92Ah AGM, there may be ways to tweak that. You could tweak the solar to the lithium profile but not the hookup battery charger.

These guys seem to be able to do it with VW’s approval but it’s not cheap. Also, it’s not under the bonnet but in the technical cupboard.

There is a UK company that fits lithium but different to car electric.

I investigated this when getting our GC a few months ago. Was in touch with a couple of lithium battery suppliers who both advised against fitting one under the bonnet.
Looked at the German company too, but way too much money. A shame as the standard battery is pants, which is why we have a Bluetti PPS as well.

My friend is just getting his T5 done in Germany.
Exchanging the 2 leisure batteries for just one 100ah Lithium under the passenger seat.

I will post when I see how he gets on with it

On my last camper build (Sprinter) I fitted a battery tray under the bonnet. Although Roamer advised that it wasn't a good place to fit due to heat. I did fit the battery there and did my own testing.
It was completely fine, it turns out they didn't do any testing.

On hot sunny days the camper interior can reach 40c, whilst under the bonnet in the shade was max 25c.
On motorways or driving there is plenty of air flow and a max +3c above ambient was reached on long journeys.
Once parked there is residual heat for 30mins but the battery temp never spiked.

The battery was fitted to the extreme right near the wing with the heater airbox between the engine.
The battery is big and heavy and takes many hours to heat or cool.
Under the Crafter bonnet there is lots more space compared to Sprinter.

I investigated this when getting our GC a few months ago. Was in touch with a couple of lithium battery suppliers who both advised against fitting one under the bonnet.
Looked at the German company too, but way too much money. A shame as the standard battery is pants, which is why we have a Bluetti PPS as well.
There is a member on here Eber123 who had one fitted by the German company. He seemed happy with it at the time but not sure how it is working for him currently. He did say he had a big summer trip planned (I believe).

Back