Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ItechWorld lithium battery direct swap for AGM?

• Thread starter Greg&Mel Australian Cali
  • Start date
Greg&Mel Australian Cali

Greg&Mel Australian Cali

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach 199
A West Australian company in Perth builds lithium batteries they say can be charged with any existing 12V charger. If so, are there any other issues to consider for a direct swap with the AGM leisure batteries?

A West Australian company in Perth builds lithium batteries they say can be charged with any existing 12V charger. If so, are there any other issues to consider for a direct swap with the AGM leisure batteries?

AGM and Lithium batteries normally have different charging profiles. These Lithium batteries may well have internal electronics to cope with a Mains 230v charger that is set for AGM batteries but I wonder how it would cope with the VW Split charge relay system and "Smart" alternator coupled with Regenerative Braking?
May have to change the Split Charge relay for a DC to DC charger.
If the company is correct with their assertion then they should be willing to put it writing regarding charging from the VW built in Mains Charger and the Smart Alternator/Split Charge relay system and what, if any, changes have to be made.
Do you have the Touch Screen Control Panel?. If so that may be problematic as it monitors the Leisure Battery electronically but is expecting to see a 75amp AGM battery.

I would go this route as there are too many things to go wrong otherwise. And abused lithium batteries are a safety problem.

Do you have the Touch Screen Control Panel?. If so that may be problematic as it monitors the Leisure Battery electronically but is expecting to see a 75amp AGM battery.
More information: it may be possible to recode J608. Here's a screenshot of obdeleven interrogating the relevant module: Screenshot_20230224-035823.png

Lithium is one of the battery technologies available for selection here. Whether you will need a different IBS sensor (and if it exists) remains to be seen.

I think caliboard.de might be informative too.

Please report back what you discover and don't spare the details

AGM and Lithium batteries normally have different charging profiles. These Lithium batteries may well have internal electronics to cope with a Mains 230v charger that is set for AGM batteries but I wonder how it would cope with the VW Split charge relay system and "Smart" alternator coupled with Regenerative Braking?
If the company is correct with their assertion then they should be willing to put it writing regarding charging from the VW built in Mains Charger and the Smart Alternator/Split Charge relay system and what, if any, changes have to be made.
I should have detailed that I have a 6.1 double sliding door Beach, so only one leisure battery and no mains charger. I will ask the company the questions you propose and let you know what they say.

I would go this route as there are too many things to go wrong otherwise. And abused lithium batteries are a safety problem.

More information: it may be possible to recode J608. Here's a screenshot of obdeleven interrogating the relevant module: View attachment 105246

Lithium is one of the battery technologies available for selection here. Whether you will need a different IBS sensor (and if it exists) remains to be seen.

I think caliboard.de might be informative too.

Please report back what you discover and don't spare the details
Depending on what the company says, I might come back to you to get more info regarding J608.

Greg and Mel,
I have the Aussie beach T6.1 with the Itechworld 120x lithium battery. I left the VW system alone, mounted a 50 amp Anderson plug in the back of the passenger seat and tapped power in to a spare fuse off the 75amp leisure battery. The 120x battery is in a modified Hardkorr battery box with dcdc built in to it, behind the back seat. I run a Vanessa kitchen module fitted at the rear.
We just use the max charge feature to share alt output from the leisure battery. We use a 15 amp 240v Victron charger for when shore power is available or two 200 watt foldable solar panels. Works great on long trips, downside is loss of storage space. We also run two Vanessa wardrobe bags that clip into the rear window area.
Happy camping.

Greg and Mel,
I have the Aussie beach T6.1 with the Itechworld 120x lithium battery. I left the VW system alone, mounted a 50 amp Anderson plug in the back of the passenger seat and tapped power in to a spare fuse off the 75amp leisure battery. The 120x battery is in a modified Hardkorr battery box with dcdc built in to it, behind the back seat. I run a Vanessa kitchen module fitted at the rear.
We just use the max charge feature to share alt output from the leisure battery. We use a 15 amp 240v Victron charger for when shore power is available or two 200 watt foldable solar panels. Works great on long trips, downside is loss of storage space. We also run two Vanessa wardrobe bags that clip into the rear window area.
Happy camping.
I also have an Aussie 2 sliding door beach. The leisure battery is under the passenger seat and VanEssa installed a 125 amp hr invicta lithium battery under the drivers seat. The lithium is on a different circuit and is charged by a Redarc 40 amp in vehicle charger. This battery mainly does the 75l Dometic fridge. We are in the same city if you want to check It out.

I also have an Aussie 2 sliding door beach. The leisure battery is under the passenger seat and VanEssa installed a 125 amp hr invicta lithium battery under the drivers seat. The lithium is on a different circuit and is charged by a Redarc 40 amp in vehicle charger. This battery mainly does the 75l Dometic fridge. We are in the same city if you want to check It out.
Yep, keen. How best to get in contact?
Greg

Yep, keen. How best to get in contact?
Greg
As neither of you are Forum VIP members you cannot use the Forum Private messaging system. Typing phone or email addresses can be picked by the ever present spambots that scoure the WWW for such information.
The safest way is to take a photo of your email address or phone number and upload to a post with the other Forum member tagged in the post or as a reply to one of their posts.

Thanks Welsh Gas, always helpful.
By the way, I never did get a reply from Itechworld (despite follow up) about if their lithium battery could be a drop in for the AGM. So assume not.
This for the Captain from Perth

D8926098-CFE7-4B8E-9DFA-D7487CE7BF12.jpeg

Greg and Mel,
Happy camping.
Please call 0418199731

Back