Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lockdown California Beach Kitchen Pod Project

Brilliant, great job! Can you share some details of the slide-out tray please; is it an available part or bespoke built?

That's one if the best set ups I've seen to date. I love the way you have adapted those Euro boxes. Everything looks extremely neat and professionally executed. I have a similar arrangement but without the adapted boxes.

View attachment 57749

Hmm, food for thought. :thumb
That's one if the best set ups I've seen to date. I love the way you have adapted those Euro boxes. Everything looks extremely neat and professionally executed. I have a similar arrangement but without the adapted boxes.

View attachment 57749

View attachment 57749

Hi Borris, where did you get the slide-out tray from? Many thanks in advance.

Hi Borris, where did you get the slide-out tray from? Many thanks in advance.
Hello Smikei,
The German company is CALICAP D.E. However, I believe they are closed at the moment due to the virus.

If you type "Pull out tray" into the search function, you'll find a several posts from yours truly about the the tray and stowage system that I concocted.

However, the club shop sells their own version which does exactly the same thing but a lot cheaper.

Hello Smikei,
The German company is CALICAP D.E. However, I believe they are closed at the moment due to the virus.

If you type "Pull out tray" into the search function, you'll find a several posts from yours truly about the the tray and stowage system that I concocted.

However, the club shop sells their own version which does exactly the same thing but a lot cheaper.
If memory serves me right the club shop drawer is not full width

Brilliant, great job! Can you share some details of the slide-out tray please; is it an available part or bespoke built?
I got my slide out from Germany, see the link above. However, slide out trays are available in the UK now including from the shop on this site which is a lot simpler to get.
The slide out tray is one of the most useful options for a beach, I’ve had mine for several years and wouldn’t be without it.

I’ve been meaning to build a kitchen pod for my beach which can be used on the boot slide out, or inside the van, or in my vango keela awning, or indeed just outside in the sunshine. I’ve had the bits for about 18 months but just haven’t found time to do it. I suppose it’s a bit of a cheap imitation Slidepod, but is more flexible than a slidepod and includes a space for a fridge, however, there is no posh sink and tap. View attachment 57731View attachment 57732View attachment 57733View attachment 57734View attachment 57735View attachment 57736View attachment 57737View attachment 57738View attachment 57739View attachment 57740
That's exactly what I'm after. Can I ask where you got the eurocrates ? Those that I have seen don't have the plain frontage that yours do which would make cutting them about a lot harder.

Got my furniture board and bits from Clearcut Conversions, they also have some really helpful How To guides that you can download from their website. The knock on edging for the door was quite tricky.
The idea of using the euro boxes rather than make the box out of plywood from scratch was that they would be lighter, stronger and more water resistant if used on wet grass etc. However, cutting out the door opening using a Stanley knife was hard work. The fold out shelf was an idea I picked up looking at bigger motorhome at the NEC show, got the brackets on amazon, probably a lot heavier duty brackets than I needed but couldn’t find any lighter ones I liked.
The knock on edging requires a 2mm router slot cutter, and the curved corners need routing using a template, not that difficult, but you need the tools.

Hey Silver5urfer,

I was looking a making a kitchen pod and love your design. I've looked at the Dometic double burner.. looks like model might have changed a little (SMEV 8022 TWIN BURNER HOB). It appears the controls are on the front now. That might have made it a bit wider (37 cm will be a squeeze given the internal width of the eurocrate is about 38cm). How wide is yours out of interest?

It might need a bit of bodging to get this one to fit. :embarrased.

Great work again!

Hey Silver5urfer,

I was looking a making a kitchen pod and love your design. I've looked at the Dometic double burner.. looks like model might have changed a little (SMEV 8022 TWIN BURNER HOB). It appears the controls are on the front now. That might have made it a bit wider (37 cm will be a squeeze given the internal width of the eurocrate is about 38cm). How wide is yours out of interest?

It might need a bit of bodging to get this one to fit. :embarrased.

Great work again!

Just answered my own question. The model you've used is significantly narrower (H80 x W460 x D335 mm). You can get them on ebay:

This doesn't have the ignition which isn't really a big deal in my eyes.

Silver5urfer,

I hope you don’t mind me borrowing your design? I’m almost done but will tell anyone that asks where I got the idea that it was yours. Genius using the crate. I took the fold out side and made it a dual purpose chopping/washing area. Hope you like the mod:

92DE0886-E965-4EA2-A557-35219994871C.jpeg
4A3F10A4-FC11-4D79-8D1F-55706FFD9C99.jpeg
4B4230CC-7C67-4ABD-9EA1-8475185BB20D.jpeg
662C8AD2-83D2-4986-9703-549E2B44C92E.jpeg

Looks really cool, very impressive.
That’s amazing, love the sink and tap. If I were to make another one there are a few things that I might change, you probably feel the same, it’s an evolving concept/design. Good work, it’s not easy cutting the plastic crates, and getting the measurements right. It will be interesting to see if a commercial company like slidepods takes up the concept, it’s so adaptable. Well done.

That’s amazing, love the sink and tap. If I were to make another one there are a few things that I might change, you probably feel the same, it’s an evolving concept/design. Good work, it’s not easy cutting the plastic crates, and getting the measurements right. It will be interesting to see if a commercial company like slidepods takes up the concept, it’s so adaptable. Well done.

yes definitely things I’d change. Position of the sink for example. As is I had to cut a channel for the hinge on the side supports of the crate. Like you say cutting this is very messy (It melts so quickly).

I’ve been meaning to build a kitchen pod for my beach which can be used on the boot slide out, or inside the van, or in my vango keela awning, or indeed just outside in the sunshine. I’ve had the bits for about 18 months but just haven’t found time to do it. I suppose it’s a bit of a cheap imitation Slidepod, but is more flexible than a slidepod and includes a space for a fridge, however, there is no posh sink and tap. View attachment 57731View attachment 57732View attachment 57733View attachment 57734View attachment 57735View attachment 57736View attachment 57737View attachment 57738View attachment 57739View attachment 57740
This is so impressive! I have a slidepod which I love but I just wish it had room for a fridge. This is the perfect solution.

Sadly I don’t have the skills to recreate something similar so hopefully someone will start making these commercially so i can buy one!

View attachment 57749

This looks like a really neat solution Boris. I’ve got a slidepod and not being able to put a fridge in the back is starting to grate a little. Have you got a photo of this setup in cooking mode? :thumb

Hello Campingrookie,
We've moved on a bit since that snap was taken. Please see the following link.

Camping and cooking with the set up in the photo in your post was simple. Everything was easily available in the various Euro boxes. We often used to cook (and still do) around the rear pull out tray. You have instant access to the fridge freezer and everything else including the cooker/stove which can either be set up on the tray, on the Euro boxes or on a table or the ground. It leaves you maximum space in the vehicle for eating etc. I don't think I've actually got a photo of that set up in use as you've requested but can assure you that it's a good set up that worked well for us.

We now have a Dock Camping kitchen to augment the Euro boxes and fridge/freezer. This is a brilliant set up that we are very pleased with. Please see the above mentioned thread. See posts #105, #116,#117 and #118.

Hello Campingrookie,
We've moved on a bit since that snap was taken. Please see the following link.

Camping and cooking with the set up in the photo in your post was simple. Everything was easily available in the various Euro boxes. We often used to cook (and still do) around the rear pull out tray. You have instant access to the fridge freezer and everything else including the cooker/stove which can either be set up on the tray, on the Euro boxes or on a table or the ground. It leaves you maximum space in the vehicle for eating etc. I don't think I've actually got a photo of that set up in use as you've requested but can assure you that it's a good set up that worked well for us.

We now have a Dock Camping kitchen to augment the Euro boxes and fridge/freezer. This is a brilliant set up that we are very pleased with. Please see the above mentioned thread. See posts #105, #116,#117 and #118.
Ah I see, you have indeed moved on! I’ve just read through your thread, very helpful thank you. The dock looks like a great piece of kit. As I have a slidepod already I’m really going to have to give it some thought as to what the best set up for me would be!

One should be able to fix them at the front rails as well.

Looks well made. Some nice ideas.
But you fill the boot with a kitchen, where do you store everything else like clothes etc...?

This looks great!

I’ve got a slidepod which I love but not having the fridge built into the set up is niggling at me a little, so this looks like a nice solution!
Wonder if you can get them in the UK

This looks great!

I’ve got a slidepod which I love but not having the fridge built into the set up is niggling at me a little, so this looks like a nice solution!
Wonder if you can get them in the UK

Looks good but not for me. Cool box is neatly stored but I like to be able to access mine without getting out of the van for milk for my coffee and food on route and wine at night. I use the table to prepare food on, either inside or out and I have an induction hob and a standby gas hob and low power electric kettle, everything I need to cook and eat with is stored in a Euro box. A folding stool is useful to put things on as well, folding washing up bowl on the floor is OK to put veg peelings and used items in during preparation. Wooden chopping board can be used to prepare or present food e.g bread and hot pans can sit on. I prefer to keep the van flexible.

I agree fixing in the front would be useful if you want it all in one place inside, not sure how you would move around inside the van unless it was at one side