Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locked keys inside van - which window do I break?

B

BuieBodach

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I've stupidly locked my keys inside my T5 California. If all else fails, which is the best window to break? I'm thinking either of the small "window within windows" on the sides, but which is easiest to replace? Thanks!

I've stupidly locked my keys inside my T5 California. If all else fails, which is the best window to break? I'm thinking either of the small "window within windows" on the sides, but which is easiest to replace? Thanks!
If you have the AA or equivilent, give them a call. Can often gain access especially on older vehicles.

Recently read a thread on here that explained how AA gets in. Also saw a video of a man showing how to get in using a plunger and duct tape. Not sure it'll help you, but a plunger and duct tape aren't hard to come by and the video made it look pretty easy. There's info from a locksmith on the technique here. But as @WelshGas says, AA is the logical way to go.

Recently read a thread on here that explained how AA gets in. Also saw a video of a man showing how to get in using a plunger and duct tape. Not sure it'll help you, but a plunger and duct tape aren't hard to come by and the video made it look pretty easy. There's info from a locksmith on the technique here. But as @WelshGas says, AA is the logical way to go.
the thread you are refering to is: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/locked-out-of-my-t6-1-coast-a-cautionary-tale.38412/

I recently had this conversation with a Cali owning fireman and he suggested either the passenger or driver door window. He said people often go for the smallest window but these are generally more difficult to source and expensive to replace.

In the first instance you should attempt to open or get assistance to open without breaking a window - good luck

Thanks, all for your helpful replies. I'm only now able to give an update. I called the AA who tried, for a considerable time, but unsuccessfully, to pick the lock. I declined their offer to prise the door top open with an air bag (having had that done on a Freelander resulting in a permanently bent door) in the hope that pressing the unlock button on the door would work. The AA guy recommended a locksmith, Scott Keyz, who arrived promptly (in Edinburgh), picked the lock in under a minute and charged me £80 - a bargain, considering the alternatives!

I declined their offer to prise the door top open with an air bag (having had that done on a Freelander resulting in a permanently bent door) in the hope that pressing the unlock button on the door would work.
Good decision, if the van is deadlocked the button won't work, the only reason to bend the door top is if the keys are in view & can be hooked out.

Good decision, if the van is deadlocked the button won't work, the only reason to bend the door top is if the keys are in view & can be hooked out.
Aye, we had a discussion about that. The button would only work if not deadlocked, and I didn't know if the key fob deadlocked it or not. "Does it go 'kerr-chunk' when you lock it, or 'kerr-chunk, kerr-chunk'? If the latter, it's deadlocked, and the button won't work". I racked my memory, but was it this vehicle or my other two I was remembering?! The key was on the back seat, beyond the reach of even the most proficient coat-hanger manipulator!

Aye, we had a discussion about that. The button would only work if not deadlocked, and I didn't know if the key fob deadlocked it or not. "Does it go 'kerr-chunk' when you lock it, or 'kerr-chunk, kerr-chunk'? If the latter, it's deadlocked, and the button won't work". I racked my memory, but was it this vehicle or my other two I was remembering?! The key was on the back seat, beyond the reach of even the most proficient coat-hanger manipulator!
On mine, 'kerr-chunk' is door locked + Deadlock, 'ker-chunk her-chunk' is door + Deadlock and then Deadlock disengaged.

Back