Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Locking the spare wheel….Sparesafe or security bolt?

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi team, I’m thinking about locking the spare wheel. Can anyone tell me the advantage of a Sparesafe over a single security bolt (on EBay for around £15)? The Sparesafe does look nice but it’s North of £50 delivered!

Ta

Our sparesafe has performed very well, as we still have our alloy spare wheel stowed under the van!

The Tri lock bolts on eBay all seem to have the same bolt head / key pattern. So for £15 a thief could also help himself to your spare, which will cost a lot more than £50 to replace.

Last edited:
The spare safe comes with a security bolt as well.

A security bolt is of no use on its own as the whole head of the bolt is exposed & you can just turn it with a pair of molegrips.
The spare safe provides a shield around the bolt head to stop that happening.

Very happy with the spare safe, no one has ever messed with it but it has needed a coat of paint, it is 7years old though

Hi team, I’m thinking about locking the spare wheel. Can anyone tell me the advantage of a Sparesafe over a single security bolt (on EBay for around £15)? The Sparesafe does look nice but it’s North of £50 delivered!

Ta
As has been said, but in pictures.

Bolt head exposed. With a security bolt all you need is a Mole Wrench on the exposed head.
16DA54F0-3BDB-4C18-A0CC-A196CC842BF5.jpeg
7A9778EF-9D55-4B9E-9991-D58DF2E40A7C.jpeg

Picture of mine from the side to demonstrate how the bolt becomes shrouded......

20220109_132843.jpg

Some of the cleanest "bottoms" I have ever seen in those pictures. Our SpareSafe is on our second van now and is a small price over the life of a van. Back when we 1st had a Cali the number of reports of stolen wheels was a very common topic especially Lego Land visitors. SpareSafe came up and I do not think I have seen a post of a stolen spare from someone using it.

Some of the cleanest "bottoms" I have ever seen in those pictures.
Had to put my spare on this weekend (I seem to be a puncture magnet), now back in its cradle but if anyone wants to nick it they'd be welcome. Have made a note to wire brush and repaint it - to-do list item #2542, with #2541 being to re-organise my sock drawer. :Grin

(Seriously though, what is it with tyre shops and airguns? I literally had to use a breaker bar to get my wheel nuts undone - just as well the puncture happened at home. When I got it fixed I insisted they go round the van and re-torque everything correctly - and also they put a fresh smear of copper slip on the mating surfaces. Sorry, off topic.)

Very happy with the spare safe, no one has ever messed with it but it has needed a coat of paint, it is 7years old though
I had to repaint mine after 3 years, only noticed paint flaking when spare wheel off for a clean, original seems to only have a top coat applied no primer then topcoat. Derust and Red Smooth Hammerite looks as good as new.

Most spare wheels are targeted by opportunistic thieves so anything that makes it more difficult for the thief to get off is better than nothing. I haven’t taken mine off in 7 years so i think that will be a job for the spring.

I had to repaint mine after 3 years, only noticed paint flaking when spare wheel off for a clean, original seems to only have a top coat applied no primer then topcoat. Derust and Red Smooth Hammerite looks as good as new.
I had to repaint mine due to the same issue as above - any excuse to paint it the same colour as the calipers!
Painted Candy Apple red (4).jpg

Never had one, never needed one.
And to be honest, who is interested in this?

IMG_20190624_123957.jpg
It even looks worse now, a couple of years later.
It has a 3mm tire from 2009 on it.

I don't loose the ground clearance at the back either.

View attachment 89396

There was a spate of spare thefts a few years ago. Lego land seemed to be a sure fire way of losing your spare.
For the cost of a Sparesafe, you may as well get one. Personally, i have a big motorbike chain on mine.
Thankfully still there, although haven’t been to LL yet…

View attachment 89396

Your old steel is attractive to thieves. Very easily sold to get a old works van thru it’s next MOT….cheaper than buying a new tyre.

They will still have a hard time getting it out. The back of the van sags, the fixed towbar is in the way.
And I don't think a spare tyre is really needed for MOT here in Belgium.

Are all spare safe keys different, could anyone buy one and still nick your spare , one sale would pay for it ?!

Are all spare safe keys different, could anyone buy one and still nick your spare , one sale would pay for it ?!
That assumes that thieving types pay for something.

I did consider drilling holes for a padlock to cross under the bolt head as a belt and braces method but thought that Sods Law would probably apply in that the padlock would get clogged up and I wouldn't be able to get the key in on that wet & dark night when stuck in the middle of nowhere, with a shredded tyre.

There is no key on the spare safe, per se. Security is provided by the use of a locking wheel nut. Mine came with the type that uses the "3 lug" pattern as opposed to the other type that uses the "squiggly cloud" pattern. (Which came on the van wheels). The metal shroud prevents access to the bolt from the side and therefore can't be removed with a set of grips, or similar.
I have had a quick google and cannot find just how many keys/patterns there are, but I do think it is pretty academic.

As with any security, if someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way to take anything.
Its all about making things for thieves more difficult and less attractive than the next opportunity.

I chose to pop a spare safe on, as I am more comfortable displaying a visual deterrent, that I take security seriously. I prefer being more confident that if my van was parked in the same car park as another Transporter, that someone looking for a free tyre (forget about the alloy/steel/corroded argument) that a thief would choose the easier target.

Its not just about the cost of replacing the wheel/tyre combo either, I am sure that there is also the potential for other cosmetic damage too.

Last edited:
We were told by the makers there are 50 Different combinations that are sent out randomly