Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare Safe

pingpal6

pingpal6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Interested in purchasing the anti theft Sparesafe to hopefully prevent the theft of the spare wheel on our 2010 Cali. The bracket has 2 bolts one of them a VW security bolt. My questions are does the Sparesafe fit with two bolts (maybe all California have two bolts) and does it do what it is designed to do?
Thanks in advance :thanks

It fits on one of the the two bolts on the Cali the right hand one which is the locking one, it doesn't cover the right hand one, you do need a long locking bolt my locking bolt was too short :thumb

We just bought one last week with the locking bolt, took off then RH side bolt fitted it with th long locking bolt provided. Only took 5 mins, really simple to fit.

Thanks for the replies. Tried phoning to order today, but no answer. :thanks

Without sounding too stupid, are there any photos showing exactly how the Spare Safe fits? I think I've done it right but I'm not convinced.

I think so, thanks. It just doesn't feel as well fitted as I'd hoped it would once it's on. As long as it does the job!

Here's a picture of ours fitted on the Cali which shows how it fits on. Simon
sparesafe2.jpg

And ours. I turned it through 90 degrees to make it less obtrusive from the rear.

Alan
IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1880.JPG

Mine looks likes SimonB's when fitted. Not as nice a fit as I'd have liked! It was quite a struggle to get the bolt in. You can even hear the paint coming of the the spare wheel holder when tightening it. The problem seems to be that the U bend of the spare safe is slightly too small. Another 5mm would have made it a more comfortable fit!

I am guessing these are low volume hand made products and as such will have variations between individual items. The shop should be willing to swap one if it proves to be difficult to fit.

Mine is close to the edge of the carrier, as can be seen from the pics, but hasn't scratched any of the coating off it.

Alan

Here's a picture of ours fitted on the Cali which shows how it fits on. Simon
View attachment 13594
Hi SimonB

I am just after fitting my Sparesafe and not being sure if I had fitted it quite correctly searched the forum and came across this thread. Judging by your photo I think I have fitted it correctly. I have a question however and I'm not sure if I am being thick in asking it. My question is how does the Sparesafe prevent or make harder the theft of the spare wheel? I had a short locking wheel bolt fitted before I put the Sparesafe on which I read somewhere could be sawn through. But looking at the way the Sparesafe is attached it still doesn't prevent this from happening. Not sure if I am missing something obvious here.

Thanks,
Bruce

Without sparesafe is possible to undo locking bolt. Sparesafe limits access to head of locking bolt. Don't think would be possible to saw through bolt.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi SimonB

I am just after fitting my Sparesafe and not being sure if I had fitted it quite correctly searched the forum and came across this thread. Judging by your photo I think I have fitted it correctly. I have a question however and I'm not sure if I am being thick in asking it. My question is how does the Sparesafe prevent or make harder the theft of the spare wheel? I had a short locking wheel bolt fitted before I put the Sparesafe on which I read somewhere could be sawn through. But looking at the way the Sparesafe is attached it still doesn't prevent this from happening. Not sure if I am missing something obvious here.

Thanks,
Bruce
As @Andy says above the tube part of the Spare Safe stops access to the bolt head and you should have a security bolt in there, like you have for the wheels, that can only be removed by the special key. I think it is possible to buy the Spare Safe without the security bolt, for people who already have one. It's £57.99 with the security bolt, and £46.99 without. Can you remember which one you got?
The horseshoe shaped bit fits around the pipe above where the bolt screws in stopping it being sawed through. With no spare safe they could get a pipe wrench onto the head of the bolt and turn it.
Hope this helps
sparesafe2.jpg

Hi SimonB

Thanks,
Bruce
Without a SpareSafe the bolt could be removed in less than 30 seconds using a pipe wrench or something similar. With the SpareSafe it would take a lot longer using a saw or angle grinder to cut through, possible but not likely as they would tend to move onto an easier victim.

As @Andy says above the tube part of the Spare Safe stops access to the bolt head and you should have a security bolt in there, like you have for the wheels, that can only be removed by the special key. I think it is possible to buy the Spare Safe without the security bolt, for people who already have one. It's £57.99 with the security bolt, and £46.99 without. Can you remember which one you got?
The horseshoe shaped bit fits around the pipe above where the bolt screws in stopping it being sawed through. With no spare safe they could get a pipe wrench onto the head of the bolt and turn it.
Hope this helps
View attachment 16968
Hope this helps
View attachment 16968
Thanks for this. Yes that's the way I have mine attached.I originally ordered the Sparesafe without a bolt thinking i could use the existing locking bolt that was already on the spare wheel but soon realised when trying to fit the Sparesafe that the bolt was too short. So I ordered the longer locking bolt and that's it now fitted. Thanks for the info re the pipe wrench; never thought of that so this should prevent that happening.

Without a SpareSafe the bolt could be removed in less than 30 seconds using a pipe wrench or something similar. With the SpareSafe it would take a lot longer using a saw or angle grinder to cut through, possible but not likely as they would tend to move onto an easier victim.
Thanks WelshGas. @SimonB replied with a similar answer re the pipe wrench which was something I hadn't thought of. I agree that the Sparesafe definitely makes it harder to get at the wheel so they would have to be pretty determined if they resorted to using an angle grinder.

I did pondering making a fitting video but Im not sure it would add anything thats not on the forum.

...So this prompts a question..
If the standard bolt is a security type? would a piece of hardened stainless sleeve over the bolt shaft prevent the undoing with a pair of pipe grips?

The standard bolt is not a locking one (or wasn't on the T5), you can buy a locking nut from VW but that is exposed and thus I expect rather useless and still susceptible to grips. Most thefts (if you find the legoland thread) they put the bolt back in half the time too to make you unaware its gone.

I don't think a sleeve would help without protecting the bolt head too (mine already has a sleeve but its plastic), cutting will always take much longer and make more noise than grips so anything to slow them down or put them off entirely is good.

Last edited:
The standard bolt is not a locking one (or wasn't on the T5), you can buy a locking nut from VW but that is exposed and thus I expect rather useless and still susceptible to grips. Most thefts (if you find the legoland thread) they put the bolt back in half the time too to make you unaware its gone.

I don't think a sleeve would help (mine already has a sleeve but its plastic), cutting will always take much longer and make more noise than grips so anything to slow them down is good.
I understand..

And is a cable/bike lock no good?
(Not doubting the spare safe, just trying to bottom out my thoughts)

Possibly worth waiting until you get your Cali Loz. I believe VW have changed something and mine may be secure already. I will confirm or not at Lower Lode as I've already bought a spare safe which I may not fit.

Mike

On my t5 cali i have sparesafe & a cable bike lock on front end of the carier.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back