Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Long term storage

Floats

Floats

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi Guys,
I will be leaving my Calli at the airport for about a month. Do you suggest I disconnect the battery?
Regards
Chris

No, you will risk component protection on the media system and you will have no alarm.
Put a spare charged battery and jump leads in the back.
Or better still buy yourself one of the new li-ion jump starters and leave it in the glove box.
If it is flat when you return, use the key to manually open it and use your jump starter to get going.

Have you checked your insurer as many will not allow the vehicle to be left unattended away from the home address ?

I am guessing you will remember this as its rather obvious but just in case not don't forget to switch off the control panel. I know it only draws 0.2 amps but over a month.....

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments.
1. As retired airline pilot, I can use the pilot's parking which is quite secure and inside the security area. Thus alarm is not that important and parking area OK with insurer.
2. I will only know how good the battery 'was' when I get back in November. My 'good' condition battery in my Toyota Fortuner was only just, not good enough to start after 6 weeks in March. It turned the engine, but not enough to start. Managed to get the aircraft ground engineers to help, but I would rather not if possible.
3. JW, How does one switch the control panel off?
4. Could the nr 2 battery be used to jump the main batt?
5. I like the li-ion charger, but I assume it would require external AC power.
Much appreciated guys.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments.
Much appreciated guys.

You charge it up then It stays charged for months.
I have this one;
http://amzn.eu/5Ml7bNq
71JNUcMKlwL._SL1500_.jpg

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments.
1. As retired airline pilot, I can use the pilot's parking which is quite secure and inside the security area. Thus alarm is not that important and parking area OK with insurer.
2. I will only know how good the battery 'was' when I get back in November. My 'good' condition battery in my Toyota Fortuner was only just, not good enough to start after 6 weeks in March. It turned the engine, but not enough to start. Managed to get the aircraft ground engineers to help, but I would rather not if possible.
3. JW, How does one switch the control panel off?
4. Could the nr 2 battery be used to jump the main batt?
Much appreciated guys.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
Hi Chris
If your control unit is on (you can see the display) then just press the bottom left button twice. (Pressing once only puts it in sleep mode).

Hope this helps.

Thanks all, much appreciated.
Amazon does not come to South Africa.
However, we are going to the UK, get one of these magic chargers over there, pump it up nicely with fresh UK power, bring it home and viola, start the Calli with our new li-ion charger if needed.

Does anyone know if the second battery could be used to jump the main battery?

Regards
Chris
Cape Town

However, we are going to the UK, get one of these magic chargers over there, pump it up nicely with fresh UK power, bring it home and viola, start the Calli with our new li-ion charger if needed.

Regards
Chris
Cape Town
Yes, possibly, but might not be practical, maybe if you made some long jump leads and unbolted the passenger seat to get to it.

And then it dawn on me! Cant take lithium batteries on the aeroplane but for some reason could not edit my previous post #11

Tks Loz,
I'll check with our local VW agent.
Regards
Chris

Yes, possibly, but might not be practical, maybe if you made some long jump leads and unbolted the passenger seat to get to it.
It has been done. Fitting an Anderson connector to the Front Leisure Battery and using Jump leads.

If you have the Bluemotion charging system then the battery won't be fully charged when you park up (possibly only 80%).
It would probably be a good idea to give it a full charge up with a charger before leaving home and not use radio etc if possible on route to airport.

Did not have a problem last year leaving vehicle for 4 weeks at Heathrow. Still started 1 st Time at -5c on return. No special precautions taken.

Good idea, thanks WelshGas

BJG, Mine is not a Bluemotion and we are about 4 hours from the airport and have some business to attend to in the city. So, I dont think fully charged and a few minutes to the airport will do it--- on the other hand, 4 hours on the high way, might be excactly what we need.

I suppose I should take an extra fully charged battery, just in case.
Regards
Chris

Good idea, thanks WelshGas

BJG, Mine is not a Bluemotion and we are about 4 hours from the airport and have some business to attend to in the city. So, I dont think fully charged and a few minutes to the airport will do it--- on the other hand, 4 hours on the high way, might be excactly what we need.

I suppose I should take an extra fully charged battery, just in case.
Regards
Chris
I have BlueMotion. I do put the vehicle on Mains Charger once a month routinely, but not especially before Parking up at Heathrow.

Regards
Chris
Cape Town

I know you are 'in the business' but might you not have a problem getting a charged li-ion charger through airport security?

I know you are 'in the business' but might you not have a problem getting a charged li-ion charger through airport security?
See Post 13 above.:thumb