Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Long time fan, first time owner.

K

Khydog

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hello all, thanks for the add.

I think I had a mid life crisis last weekend and came out the other side of it the proud and (if I admit it now) slightly anxious owner of a 2004 t5 caravelle.

I have been assured by the previous owner that it is mechanically and structurally sound, and all initial inspections and short trips so far would certainly point to this being the case, however I’m a little nervous what a more in depth inspection might throw light on.

I have already stripped the trim and headlining out of the cab and will be reupholstering it as the original lining was sagging and pretty tatty. Will also need to do the same in the back.

The more I poke at it however, the more I discover, hence the slight anxiety I mentioned earlier. I have found that the indicators/seatbelt/lights left on warning doesn’t work and neither does the MFD - even though there are controls for it on the wipers stalk. And one of the side doors is a different colour under the trim .

The windscreen has a chip low on the drivers side, is not sealed in the top corners and an attempt has been made to weatherproof it with silicone, but it’s letting in the recent weather, so it’s booked in for a replacement windscreen next week.

I think (hope?) it’s nervous excitement though as once it’s spruced up and been lavished with some TLC, the possibilities are endless!

Got our first proper maiden voyage booked in for the first weekend in May. I live in Leamington Spa and will be heading to sunny Cornwall with my family and In-laws.

Wish me luck with getting the cosmetic bits tidied/cleaned up and fingers crossed that a service and inspection doesn’t throw anything major out.

Glad there is such an enthusiastic community of owners and experts to lean on for all of the information that I’m inevitably going to need as I get this 20y old classic back into premium condition.

IMG_4349.jpeg

Remember she’s 20 years old so shes bound to have a few stories