Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Long trip - charging laptop - options?

Thank you. I have been trying to find a simple Euro to Uk adapter with the Polygon/Hexagon shape. Looking at most of the adapters they seem round and so I thought the prongs would not go far enough into the recess to be stable.

You may be better off* making a continental plug to UK 3-pin socket for this connection, as I find the weight of things plugged into travel adapters tends to break them free of the socket (it's only friction after all). If you make it just so long it reaches the floor then it can't fall any further. I have done this for terrestrial 2-pin sockets. You can then use all of your [low power] 230v accessories just like you would at home, rather than buying a whole new set.

*conjecture by observation
Good tip. I would prefer a simple Euro straight to UK adapter rather than the world adapters which look like they might be top heavy.

Pound shop.

Hi all,

Does the inverter plug ('schuko' socket like you see in France and Germany) really work without power hookup in all cases?

That's what I was told that when I bought the SE, but I don't get any power from it. I assumed it only worked with hook-up, but if it should work with the leisure battery then I'll try and get it repaired.

Great thread!

The Inverter Socket is powered by the Leisure batteries.

The Inverter, based under the fridge, could be faulty or a fuse blown. However, you have to have the correct plug for the inverter socket as there is a microswitch which is activated when the plug is inserted to switch on the Inverter.:thumb

Hi all,

We are planning an exciting, adventure packed road trip, lasting a year.

Whilst we may use campsites occasionally, we will probably wild-camp frequently.

Our California gives us pretty much everything we need, except an option to charge our laptop - ah modern life eh!

I'd love to hear what sustainable options there are out there and what solutions you guys actually use - and what actually works well!

thanks in advance,
If you haven't yet bought the laptop, why not consider an iPad or iPad mini. We took both a laptop and an iPad with us last year when we were away for about 200 nights. I used the ordinary laptop at first when the van was plugged in and the iPad for the rest of the time. After a while we hardly used the laptop at all as we were not often connected to mains power. It was so much easier to recharge the iPad via a standard USB connector plugged into one of the 12v sockets. Beware of the amount of charge required though and try to recharge while driving when possible - it's surprising how much it takes to fully charge even a mobile phone. I needed a jump start for my Golf once, after recharging my phone several times.

If you plan to wild camp only for a year you need to address battery charging issues. Standard split charging will not be sufficient to keep your battery healthy.

We used the converter outlet to charge our electric toothbrushes. Both whilst driving and when hooked up (they take a long time loading). That is, until the charger stations stopped functioning after a charge (two in a row). So we don’t use the converter anymore. Any ideas on a possible cause?

Bought Poundshop adapter today. No good does not fit properly in the Euro plug.
Sorry about that. Sure it was just a simple pound shop one in the 2006 Cali I had. Perhaps later models with the inverter are different?

We used the converter outlet to charge our electric toothbrushes. Both whilst driving and when hooked up (they take a long time loading). That is, until the charger stations stopped functioning after a charge (two in a row). So we don’t use the converter anymore. Any ideas on a possible cause?
Probably overheated or blew a fuse. Have you tried it since as it should reset if just overheated.
It will only put out about 0.5 amps at 240v as it is only a 150w inverter.

Sorry about that. Sure it was just a simple pound shop one in the 2006 Cali I had. Perhaps later models with the inverter are different?
No worries I can keep it for using at other EU locations outside of the Cali.

I think that we need to prevail upon Kev,

Many moons ago, even before Albert arrived in my drive, I acquired an inverter two pin hexagonal plug to a standard UK 3 pin, with a lead long enough to reach the floor (as pointed out by Huey, gravity comes into play otherwise)...

I so believe it came from the Cali club shop.

It's excellent except for one thing, I could never get my Mac charger to work with it, why I ended up going for a 12v Lavolta charger. Otherwise though gives an extra 3 pin socket, currently dedicated to my Bose Mini.

In newer Cali's it's based in the leisure battery compartment under the hanging closet.
So the Inverter AND the Leisure Battery Charger are under the wardrobe?

I know the Charger is above the rear Leisure Battery under the wardrobe because I had to push the mains plug in properly when I picked up my SE as I had Mains in from the EHU but no charging. Didn't know the Inverter is there as well.

So the Inverter AND the Leisure Battery Charger are under the wardrobe?

I know the Charger is above the rear Leisure Battery under the wardrobe because I had to push the mains plug in properly when I picked up my SE as I had Mains in from the EHU but no charging. Didn't know the Inverter is there as well.
I may be wrong, but I always thought it was a combined unit.

Probably overheated or blew a fuse. Have you tried it since as it should reset if just overheated.
It will only put out about 0.5 amps at 240v as it is only a 150w inverter.

We haven't used the inverter outlet since the second charger went dead. But I just found an older thread on the German forum, stating that since the build-in inverter produces a square and not a sinus wave, it is not recommended for many appliances (including electric toothbrushes and laptop chargers).

"Brilliant, well done been looking all over for the hex plug at least. I can work with that and modify the end to suit. Many thanks."

No problem "campandfly"I used a rubber uk socket end from B&Q

I bought a continental .5mtr short extension lead from E Leclerc or Carrefor (can't remember which) electrical department.

I cut it in half, put a 13amp plug top on the 2pin socket , and a 13amp plug socket on the 2 pin plug end.

Means I have a 13amp adaptor for the inverter socket I keep in the van, and another UK version if I need to use a 2 pin plug at home.

Make sure you unplug the 2 pin plug from the inverter socket, as the inverter will be switched on and drain the leisure batteries if left plugged in even if you have nothing plugged into the 13amp socket.

Alan

You will find that the inverter circuit is OK for a laptop as it runs up to 150w. As others have said, it's inefficient.
If you charge it while travelling, you will be fine. Too much off grid use and it will deplete the batteries. A solar panel will charge a laptop if you get a good one, or at least help.
If you are that much off grid, you will find that your fridge and lights are also consuming the juice, along with the roof, heater, and other little USB gizmos etc and in that respect, it's hardly worth making special arrangements for a low drain laptop, is it?
So drive daily, run the engine a bit, or take a spare battery or two, which you can charge on hook up.

I had loads of trouble trying to use the euro adapter socket - didn't want to spend £15 on an adapter when VW should have done it for us in the UK. So, as with Alan above, I made one from a £1.80 euro cable with a figure of eight end on it. Cut that off, and wired the end into a trailing socket I had. I then tried to find out on the forum how to know which way round to plug it in as it had live and negative with no reverse protection or earth. I then borrowed a tester plug, and put this into my trailing socket to find that it came up OK whichever way round it was plugged in, so the socket can work either way. This was mentioned to me by the electronic whizz kids on here, but of course it's hard to believe without satisfying yourself that you won't blow it up! The tester plug gave me that reassurance.

I now use it all the time, but remember to unplug the lead when not in use as it drains power from the inverter even with nothing plugged it.

I made one from a £1.80 euro cable with a figure of eight end on it. Cut that off, and wired the end into a trailing socket I had. I then tried to find out on the forum how to know which way round to plug it in as it had live and negative with no reverse protection or earth. I then borrowed a tester plug, and put this into my trailing socket to find that it came up OK whichever way round it was plugged in, so the socket can work either way. This was mentioned to me by the electronic whizz kids on here, but of course it's hard to believe without satisfying yourself that you won't blow it up!
They're live and neutral conductors, not live and negative. The current swaps direction 50 or so times a second, which is why it 'works' either way round. The big clue is the Euro plug goes in either way, but you were right to check with the tester as you were unsure.

As an aside, my cannibalised Euro cable is a 3 (?) metre one, it was originally made as hotel sockets are never where you need them, so it reaches far in a Euro hotel and attaching the short end keeps it useful in a UK hotel too (up to 3 Amps of course :stop). Just don't wire up the two plugs on the same length of cable :Nailbiting

Back