Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for alternative cooking options using EHU

Ours is an ocean but we almost always cook outside. Because we like camping when the weather is good. But it's nice to have the ability to cook inside when needed. Outside on a single portable burner for meat and fish and things like that. We then sometimes cook pasta or vegetables inside. And water for thee and coffee also inside. And i love to bbq.

I cook a lot outside the van, using various equipment and fuels - Cobb (charcoal and spirit in. Trangia burner); Kellie kettle for water, cooking above the tunnel and without the kettle using the hobo stove bit (anything that’ll burn and create enough heat, mainly freely foraged, including dry animal dung); firebox stove using bottles/pots/pans and the grates that are with it (any fuel, like the Kellie PLUS it’s designed to fit the Trangia spirit and gas burners too); gas camping stove (cartridges).

When we thought of the Cali and found that the storage space would only fit Campingaz I was shocked at the cost and priced per mg against other gases. I bought 2 cheapish empty cannisters and swapped one for a great outdoors refil. I also researched another gas provider (can’t remember the name, but the bottles were the same as Campingaz but yellow - there’s a forum thread that I started somewhere) but there were no suppliers local to me the travel costs made it more expensive. In comparison (UK prices and availability, without any delivery costs) to all other types of gas bottles, canisters and cartridges, the Campingaz came out the most expensive, by quite a lot.

My initial reaction was to think “right, I’ll find a solution”. It really got my goat, but then when I calmed down and thought about it logically (and tethered the goat to a post) the convenience outwayed the finance, so we have a Campingaz bottle permanently in the space for it. Over the year we’ve only cooked twice in the van and done a couple of kettle boils but it’s great knowing it’s there when/if we want/need it.

The amount of cooking you do and the kit you carry very much depends on where you cook and what you cook for. For some it’s just to eat, for others it’s part of the trip/experience. For me, I like the challenge of outdoor cooking in different ways and like experimenting, it’s part of the whole camping/travelling experience for me. So, I have loads of gear but don’t take it all, all the time. We like to do a lot of pub and cafe stopovers so sometimes won’t even cook at all.

If cooking in different ways is a hobby you‘ll be happy to use up precious space and carry the weight (like carrying skiing gear, a kayak, etc). If you’re cost conscious you might want electrical solutions if you’re already paying for EHU. So, it’s really “horses for courses”.

Great to read different views and opinions in forums like this, no question’s too small or silly and you get lots help and support as well as views that may differ to yours.
I also have a small folding gas burner with small gas bottles as back up. I am going the leave the hob behind for now. I am also going ditch the electric ketter and toaster and buy a Ridge Monkey for toast. And avod electric hookups. We do watch a tv, especially in the winter months. Any idea what sort of power it requires?

I would never carry that large Ikea hob on any trip to save on gas. Its huge and we travelling four in a Beach have limited space.

After running out of our two 907 bottles in Poland after 9 weeks in Norway, Finland and the Baltic States, and not having gas for 5 days until reaching Germany, we bought a 12 volt kettle: a single 750ml boil takes ~45 minutes and drains half the leisure battery. We later bought a cheap 800w single hob for use on hookup in case we ran out of gas in the Balkans where 907 refills is impossible or difficult to find. But by the time we crossed from Italy to Greece we were carrying a 909 bottle as well as two 907 bottles, probably sufficient for 16 weeks.

After running out of our two 907 bottles in Poland after 9 weeks in Norway, Finland and the Baltic States, and not having gas for 5 days until reaching Germany, we bought a 12 volt kettle: a single 750ml boil takes ~45 minutes and drains half the leisure battery. We later bought a cheap 800w single hob for use on hookup in case we ran out of gas in the Balkans where 907 refills is impossible or difficult to find. But by the time we crossed from Italy to Greece we were carrying a 909 bottle as well as two 907 bottles, probably sufficient for 16 weeks.

Always have my little firebox stove with me. If fire’s allowed it’s very satisfying to go forage for free fuel. It’s usually easy to find charcoal to buy somewhere if a place says no to fire, but yes to bbqs. I also take a spirit burner (as it’s tiny and clips in to the firebox) and a litre of fuel in a safety bottle. The lot hardly takes up any space at all.

It must be a bit of a challenge with no gas and kids on board.

I have a remoska and a kampa folding kettle. The rest is done by gas.
Have a Ramoska grand at home, but am a bit slapdash with the hot lid. I’d be a disaster in an enclosed space!

The advantage of induction is that the only residual heat is that transferred by the pan. When it is off no more heat continues to go to the food more like than when you cook on gas than a electric ring which stays hot. I have tefal pans with detachable handles so they take up less space and can be used as containers of other things when not in use. The other advantage of my induction hob is that it can be stored easily I put it in a cloth bag and as it is flat I can store the pans on tip of it. All my cooking things go into a cloth cube. But you do have to watch that the pans do not slide so make sure the table is level.

You can also use cast iron pans on induction, prefect for cheese fondue.
Love to cook with cast iron at home, but it’s a bit weighty for the van so have to limit myself. A Dutch/camp oven/pot is pretty useful as you can use it open or lidded and use the lid separately as a griddle, pizza stone, etc. Also, if you’re using fire to cook on your cast iron isn’t going to buckle on you. I don’t have an induction hop but I love my tefal pans with the detachable handles, so versatile.

It must be a bit of a challenge with no gas and kids on board.
It was Clare and me I was worried about. The boys probably didn’t notice.

The campsite owner/manager boiled a kettle of water for us every morning for hot drinks and a thermos. And fortunately Poland is a very cheap country for eating out. One day we built a fire and cooked sausages.

Love to cook with cast iron at home, but it’s a bit weighty for the van so have to limit myself. A Dutch/camp oven/pot is pretty useful as you can use it open or lidded and use the lid separately as a griddle, pizza stone, etc. Also, if you’re using fire to cook on your cast iron isn’t going to buckle on you. I don’t have an induction hop but I love my tefal pans with the detachable handles, so versatile.
I mainly use my van in good weather if I can so cook outside. I love cooking and it is part of the trip. I always have too much food with me and am always looking for food that is new to me. Especially in Woolwich, London where there are vegetables that I have never seen before, although the ocra was a mistake. We also have a caravan so if my husband comes we use that but the van is just for my trips so I do not have the space problem, I even have my bike inside. Don't think I am advantageous enough for a open fire.

Knowing absolutely nothing about electricity, would something like this be suitable to use on EHU? Thanks

Current: 8,5A. - Connection rating: 2000W. - 1x2000W induction zone. - Voltage: 220-240V.
Vango do 2 (a single and a double) induction hobbs called the Sizzle.

First trip post-lockdown next week, so I'm going to try my newly purchased microwave (600W) on EHU. As my Cali is LHD, I've made a simple shelf for the microwave to sit on, that utilises the space over the drivers seat (remember, LHD) and still allows me to use the seat itself for storing stuff below my home-made shelf. As I only ever turn the passenger seat (ie RHS) around whilst on site, this shelf can stay in situ throughout my time on site.
Shelf is 9mm plywood, with 2 battens screwed underneath that interface with the steering wheel for support at one end, whilst the other end has some paracord attached via 2 small 'L' brackets which loops around the back of the headrest. Sturdy enough for intended use, and easy to level. I prototyped it with 6mm ply, but it simply wasn't sturdy enough without making a complete rectangular frame underneath the ply, which I didn't want to do, to save weight and ease storage when not in use. Not worried about aesthetics, simply the practicality!

003E7FD1-02D0-4F3D-B242-8D27C9F9F65F.jpeg

D955EF06-75D8-4970-9E85-3A0E6B8F3903.jpeg

31D626D2-06C2-47C7-BD38-E63D91956EA7.jpeg

DBA75196-A0F6-4876-BCF3-073EE8BA3BC3.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice idea. Microwave’s not for me but I love a clever space maximising hack.

Knowing absolutely nothing about electricity, would something like this be suitable to use on EHU? Thanks

Current: 8,5A. - Connection rating: 2000W. - 1x2000W induction zone. - Voltage: 220-240V.
We have one of these and it is excellent - the heat adjustment is very responsive. I agree with the comment about pans sliding if not level! I like the fact that it is so easy to clean - it is smooth and streamlined with very few nooks and crannies to trap grease and grime. We use it at home to cook in the garden too.

We have one of these and it is excellent - the heat adjustment is very responsive. I agree with the comment about pans sliding if not level! I like the fact that it is so easy to clean - it is smooth and streamlined with very few nooks and crannies to trap grease and grime. We use it at home to cook in the garden too.
We've had one 12 months + needs to be level, but excellent kit.

Back