Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loose fittings - Internal table hinges

C

CaterhamSteve

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi folks, we are California newbies. Previously ran a '71 T2 but sadly sold and moved onto something better suited to long journeys. We now have a '21 T6.1 Coast.

Anyway, to get to the point. I found a strange fitting on the floor and eventually found that it was the screw, collar and rubber bush from one of the sliding hinges on the internal table. The other fitting was loose but hadn't fallen out yet.

I've tightened them as far as it feels safe to do so, the top collar feels as though it may be plastic.

Any thoughts on how this can be prevented in the future? Thread lock? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Hi folks, we are California newbies. Previously ran a '71 T2 but sadly sold and moved onto something better suited to long journeys. We now have a '21 T6.1 Coast.

Anyway, to get to the point. I found a strange fitting on the floor and eventually found that it was the screw, collar and rubber bush from one of the sliding hinges on the internal table. The other fitting was loose but hadn't fallen out yet.

I've tightened them as far as it feels safe to do so, the top collar feels as though it may be plastic.

Any thoughts on how this can be prevented in the future? Thread lock? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation

Steve
Agree, Threadlock or similar. Just something anti-vibration.

I wouldn’t use thread lock, because of the nature of that fitting, if you did need to remove the table you might find the round captive nut spins in the table setting and it would then be extremely difficult to get out. I am pretty sure its aluminium not plastic. One of mine also fell out - others have had the same issue - I just tightened it as much as I could using finger pressure on the top and so far it hasn’t come loose again. I dont think there is any danger of over tightening it with this method.

If you are worried, rather than threadlock, which hardens and can be troublesome, use a small amount of PTFE plumbers tape wrapped around the thread of the screw.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t use thread lock, because of the nature of that fitting, if you did need to remove the table you might find the round captive nut spins in the table setting and it would then be extremely difficult to get out. I am pretty sure its aluminium not plastic. One of mine also fell out - others have had the same issue - I just tightened it as much as I could using finger pressure on the top and so far it hasn’t come loose again. I dont think there is any danger of over tightening it with this method.
If you are worried, rather than threadlock, which hardens and can be troublesome, use a small amount of PTFE plumbers tape wrapped around the thread of the screw.
There are 3 different types of Threadlock.
The one required for this scenario is Purple Threadlock.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve
I think this has been a relatively common issue, assume not screwed in fully when built. Suggest you just screw it back in (not overly tight though) and leave "as is". That's all I did and it's still holding firm 12 months on.

Back