Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loud buzzing noise when on hook up

MDY__________

MDY__________

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Picked up my new GC 680 this week. Beautiful van. Really happy with it. Had a snag with the step which needed a reset (thanks to @Tazgrandcalifornia for this fix).

My biggest problem though is a constant, loud buzzing sound while on hook up.
Seems to be loudest roughly at the base of the pillar just behind the front passenger seat (left side in my RHD). Anyone have an idea of what might cause this sort of noise when hooked up to mains? e.g. Is there a converter or a battery charger housed somewhere in that area?

Not sure it's relevant but I'm connecting to my home mains using a 16A to 13A adapter on the house end of the hook up cable.

Picked up my new GC 680 this week. Beautiful van. Really happy with it. Had a snag with the step which needed a reset (thanks to @Tazgrandcalifornia for this fix).

My biggest problem though is a constant, loud buzzing sound while on hook up.
Seems to be loudest roughly at the base of the pillar just behind the front passenger seat (left side in my RHD). Anyone have an idea of what might cause this sort of noise when hooked up to mains? e.g. Is there a converter or a battery charger housed somewhere in that area?

Not sure it's relevant but I'm connecting to my home mains using a 16A to 13A adapter on the house end of the hook up cable.
Check the battery charger under the passenger seat, has a mains lead plugged in, just check this is firmly in.

Check the battery charger under the passenger seat, has a mains lead plugged in, just check this is firmly in.
Thanks @Mr T - that's narrowed it down. The mains lead is firmly in place. When I take it out the buzzing stops. Push it back in (very firmly) and the buzzing starts again.
At least I know what's causing the noise now.
One for the dealer, do you think?

Thanks @Mr T - that's narrowed it down. The mains lead is firmly in place. When I take it out the buzzing stops. Push it back in (very firmly) and the buzzing starts again.
Yes, I would say so. Might be a dodgy transformer in the charger.
Hopefully an easy fix.
Other than that, hope all is ok with your new toy :thumb

certainly shouldn't make loud buzzing noise, might be worth flipping off the RCD's/CB's in the fuse cabinet (ones in the white box with plastic cover over them) and turning each back on just to make sure none have partially made contact etc (not likely but worth try) also check the hook up cable is firmly in place both ends.

certainly shouldn't make loud buzzing noise, might be worth flipping off the RCD's/CB's in the fuse cabinet (ones in the white box with plastic cover over them) and turning each back on just to make sure none have partially made contact etc (not likely but worth try) also check the hook up cable is firmly in place both ends.
That’s a good shout and certainly worth a try.

Yes, I would say so. Might be a dodgy transformer in the charger.
Hopefully an easy fix.
Other than that, hope all is ok with your new toy :thumb
Oh yes, more than OK - these GCs are something else! Pinching myself :)

Share some spec/colour information of your new Camper, a picture is always appreciated.

Thanks @Hammer. Tried that but same result. Will ask the dealer to take a look.

Maybe avoid hookup until resolved? Last thing you want is an electrical fire as per my mate’s Mercedes recently!!

59C4E05F-2A19-4015-8DD4-93CDF306911A.jpeg

Share some spec/colour information of your new Camper, a picture is always appreciated.
Same colours as yours :cool:

Standard two-wheel-drive
Diesel heating + aux heater
Driver and lights packs
LED lights
Ambient lighting
Awning
Reversing camera
Roof aircon (I think a mistake but will know after the summer!)
Heated seats, windscreen and steering wheel
Power wing mirrors
Blind spot monitoring
Step illumination
SOG on the bog
Solar panel

I think the main things I didn't spec were 4-Motion (blew the budget), lane assist (overlooked) and satellite dish (wouldn't use).

I had a T5 panel conversion for 9 years. It's like going from a Sopwith Camel to an F-35 :)

New van.jpg

New van 2.jpg

Same colours as yours :cool:

Standard two-wheel-drive
Diesel heating + aux heater
Driver and lights packs
LED lights
Ambient lighting
Awning
Reversing camera
Roof aircon (I think a mistake but will know after the summer!)
Heated seats, windscreen and steering wheel
Power wing mirrors
Blind spot monitoring
Step illumination
SOG on the bog
Solar panel

I think the main things I didn't spec were 4-Motion (blew the budget), lane assist (overlooked) and satellite dish (wouldn't use).

I had a T5 panel conversion for 9 years. It's like going from a Sopwith Camel to an F-35 :)

View attachment 102457

View attachment 102458
Very nice. Glad to see you went with the white awning too. Good spec

Update: Dealer has replaced the unit.