Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buzzing noise from under the gear lever

David Worthington

David Worthington

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Anyone got any clever ideas on what this might be?...

I have a 2012 plate SE, and get a random buzzing noise from somewhere under the gear lever, or under the cab floor beneath the gear lever. It happens once or twice, but then nothing for days or weeks, quite loud when it happens, but it doesn't sound 'mechanical', more like a buzzer on a cooker or alarm clock! I'm pretty sure it's not something vibrating either as it happens at standstill and on the move and at various speeds

I've tried shifting gear/dropping clutch at the same time, but doesn't seem to affect it.

????

Thanks, Dave

Could be the parking/coolant heater hits in automatic when themp. is low heating the engine...if this is the case you should notice some diesel fumes from underneeth the front area of the Cali.

Could be the parking/coolant heater hits in automatic when themp. is low heating the engine...if this is the case you should notice some diesel fumes from underneeth the front area of the Cali.

Thanks Hotel C, however, I'm not sure that's the answer.

It does it in traffic or low speed running (but then it's more noticeable at quieter speeds and in traffic of course), I've noticed it shortly after starting and also at the end of a run when hot.

E.g. it did it coming off the ferry last night (engine started a few minutes), once in a jam on the M27 (engine running 30 minutes) and again (twice in succession) at the end of the A3 and back on London roads with light night-time traffic (engine running 2 hours). There's no pattern, which is why it's a new one on me.

It's also a really odd noise, doesn't sound mechanical at all! (And it's definitely one of those noises that won't happen within ten miles of a VW dealer!)

Cheers, Dave

Could it be the N75 Vacuum Valve " The Moo Valve " as that is situated at the rear of the engine in the approximate middle, just infront of the gear leaver. This can be intermittent at first. Usually due to a leak in one of the rubber pipes connected to the valve.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=437448

Thanks WG, that sounds like the right answer. Mooing being one description of the noise. My wife thought farting more apt. Either way rubber pipes sounds like it'd create the right noise and since cows and emissions are prescient, no doubt my van is just joining in the commentary in the only way it knows. Armed with that I'll get onto my dealer. All best, Dave

David,
N75 valve was driving me mad our our 180 SE 12 plate last year Same issue as you identified. Presented issue to SMG who could not find a fault. Computer said no issue. Although noise present on and off all the way down to them on a hours trip.Took into Breeze a few weeks later explained issue and although they could not find issue on computer read out explain that my van a "old style" part & pipes which VW had now updated - part changed -no further issue. I would ask your dealer has your van got old type part.

....coming from the ferry....
No refugees hidden underneeth?

Glad Welshgas came up with more useful stuff

Brilliant guys, thanks so much! N75 it is then, will add to the list of stuff my (now out of warranty) Cali needs sorting by dealership - includes their super-smart decision to replace the dual mass flywheel under warranty and leave the old clutch plate in place. They'll soon mate they told me. They're not even on talking terms after a thousand miles from what my left foot tells me.

Odd you should ask about refugees. Border control man asked if we could see through into the back of the van and could anyone have sneaked in whilst we were otherwise distracted. "No one inside but shout as we drive on and we've missed someone hanging off the bike rack I replied."

Odd world we live in... N75 rubber, clutch-plate mating, cow emissions and some smart gas from Wales.

Dave

Back