Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loud Knocking Noise From Nearside Rear

W

Wojtek Boden

VIP Member
Over the years I have grown used to all the rattles and squeaks that make Cali ownership such a pleasure.
However, my Cali (2006) has now developed a loud knocking noise that seems to come from around the rear nearside area, although the exact location is hard to pinpoint. The noise "only" occurs over potholes or uneven road surfaces, that means on most journeys, unless I'm driving on well maintained roads.
Naturally, my first thoughts were that something in the cupboards has dislodged and is thumping against the bodywork, so I cleared everything out, but the noise is still there. I've also checked that the gas bottle and rear leisure battery are properly secured.
Has anyone suffered the same/similar problem and knows the solution? I am now wondering whether there may be a fault with the nearside rear suspension!
Thanks,
Wojtek

Hey there. I reckon it could be worth you jacking up the van to remove the wheel nearest the offending sound, then check out your shock absorber bushings. We had one go on our 2001 just recently. Awful sound, and as you say difficult to pinpoint.

I get a similar clunking sound over the passengers left shoulder, somewhere next to the sink. It appears to be coming from behind the plastic in the bulkhead. Sounds like part of the structure has come loose. Happens on bumpy roads. I have had a look in the cupboards by the cutlery draw but nothing is loose. Its too high for the suspension. maybe something to do with the seatbelt inertia mechanism but its enough to annoy you on bumpy roads.
:?: :?:

Apparently the knocking noise comes from the nearside rear corner of the elevating roof. When I press down on that corner of the roof with my hand there is some movement, whereas the offside rear corner doesn't move at all. I have raised the roof to see whether anything is broken, but the rear scissor mechanism appears in good order.
Does anyone know if it is possible to make alignment adjustments to the roof to rectify the knocking noise from that rear corner?
Wojtek

I had the same issue and was advised to place a piece of reinforced plastic hose over the pivot point at the base of the scissor mechanism. The noise was one of the moving scissor arms banging on this pivot.

My roof didn't have any obvious flex but still made the noise. The plastic cylinder acted as a buffer and the noise ceased.

Worth a try?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I noticed these braided hose segments around the pivot mechanism and wondered why they were there. If that's the reason why then its a very amateur 'fix' by VW! Maybe I should replace them or double up on them to see whether it makes any difference. Thanks for the tip Andrew.
Wojtek

Hi Andrew,
I had another look and noticed that the braided hose segment around the nearside rear pivot was very loose and had spun round so that the cut side was facing up and slightly open. I replaced it with a tight fitting hose segment with the cut side turned down, then I drove over all the potholes and ruts I could find and the knocking noise has disappeared.
Once again, thanks for the tip.
Regards,
Wojtek