Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mystery knocking noise

Frankyworthy

Frankyworthy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi
We have had this mystery knocking noise for a good while. I thought it was from driver door, sliding door, table in sliding door. Rear passengers sensed it was from higher towards roof.

Then suddenly we were driving through Germany and noticed it had gone. We have started to leave a thin mattress topper in the pop top bed and the knocking has gone and comes back when removed.

Mystery solved - partly as we still don't know what is actually knocking in the roof area. It is a quite loud thudding when going over uneven ground.

Anybody had this or can suggest origin of noise? Tx

Hi
We have had this mystery knocking noise for a good while. I thought it was from driver door, sliding door, table in sliding door. Rear passengers sensed it was from higher towards roof.

Then suddenly we were driving through Germany and noticed it had gone. We have started to leave a thin mattress topper in the pop top bed and the knocking has gone and comes back when removed.

Mystery solved - partly as we still don't know what is actually knocking in the roof area. It is a quite loud thudding when going over uneven ground.

Anybody had this or can suggest origin of noise? Tx
There are Rubber pieces, or something similar on at least one of the joints of the roof mechanism. If these are worn or absent then you can get a noise. The extra tension on the mechanism by leaving the Topper in place may well be the reason.

There are Rubber pieces, or something similar on at least one of the joints of the roof mechanism. If these are worn or absent then you can get a noise. The extra tension on the mechanism by leaving the Topper in place may well be the reason.

Our Ocean had a similar noise that came from the drivers right ear position. I thought it was the sliding door mechanism but think it may be something in the awning at the front end. After disturbing the awning with the winder gadget, the noise seems to have gone. Need to completely undo the awning, which we have never used yet, and study what can rattle near the front drivers door area.

Our Ocean had a similar noise that came from the drivers right ear position. I thought it was the sliding door mechanism but think it may be something in the awning at the front end. After disturbing the awning with the winder gadget, the noise seems to have gone. Need to completely undo the awning, which we have never used yet, and study what can rattle near the front drivers door area.

"noise that came from the drivers right ear position" - perfectly describes sense of location of our knocking.

Maybe the person who was knocking fell of somewhere In Germany....I have heard you have to be very careful where you park at night......

Well, we’ve not been abroad yet in it so it must be a very small German from the factory!
If so, he’s somewhere on the road near Poolewe on the west coast, looking for a lift.

Back