Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Love letter to my Cali

Robert&Catherine

Robert&Catherine

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just away on our fourth trip since picking up our California Ocean in September. Wanted to share how I am feeling after months of anticipation. The first few trips I was too focused on judging all our decisions, concerned everything was working correctly and we had bought the right stuff….but in the early hours of this morning snuggling up with a very affectionate Labrador …it sort of hit me. I think I am falling in love with an inanimate object. If it is right for you then you can’t believe how good it makes you feel. I love the design, the way it drives etc.. but it sort of grabs you on a different level (or am I just going soft in my old age). Anyway just wanted to share that I get it now…I hope all the other recent owners have had the same emotional response to theirs!

I think I am falling in love with an inanimate object.
Great to read. I thought the same! Made me wonder if that’s ever happened to me before, and I concluded that I may have loved my Boomerang remote controlled car that I built when I was 10.
A lovely feeling that I wasn’t ready for.

Last edited:
I too feel like it's part of the family. We have bonded after 2 two week trips away in France. I park it well away from other users, and carefully consider potential risks before leaving it alone. This is the first 4 wheel vehicle I've owned from new and that might have something to do with it. But it's also a home away from home and that adds an additional connection.
I'm also figuring out what works and what doesn't. The missing piece of the puzzle is a folding bike and I have decided on a Brompton T-line. I test rode a P-line today and was blown away by how much I enjoyed the ride. Wasn't expecting that from a tiny 16" wheeled bike, but thats a different story. The bike will provide the extra freedom to park up the Cali and explore.
The ownership experience has been tarnished somewhat by the leaky bellows but VW will get this fixed and I've already experienced the true potential this camper van has to offer and spend the days thinking, when I'm not out on the road, about future trips. The planning is half the fun and the Cali, like an old faithful dog, is always up for the adventure.

I’m “In love” with my wife. I “Love“ my Daughters and Grandchildren. I ”Like” driving my car and my bike. I go on Trips and Holiday in my Camper and that’s great.
I saw a program about some guy in America who married his car.
Takes all sorts I suppose.

In anticipation of our recently ordered Cali Ocean, I’ve just bought a P line for me and an electric C line for my wife. Was going to buy a regular C line but test rode the P line and much preferred it, sure it doesn't have the wide range of gears but it makes up for it by feeling quicker and more responsive! Good luck in getting a T line, any idea how long the wait is?

In anticipation of our recently ordered Cali Ocean, I’ve just bought a P line for me and an electric C line for my wife. Was going to buy a regular C line but test rode the P line and much preferred it, sure it doesn't have the wide range of gears but it makes up for it by feeling quicker and more responsive! Good luck in getting a T line, any idea how long the wait is?
The P-line is sweet. At just over 10kg it felt light and responsive. I would be perfectly happy with that choice if the T-line wasn't an option. The T-line model is quite a bit more expensive but it will be a one and done. And both my gravel bike and MTB framed hybrid road bike are Lynskey Ti frames and I love the material for its ride characteristics, looks and obviously weight.
The local Brompton dealer here in Hannover where I test rode the P-line has 3 on order and I put my name down for one. He expects delivery towards end of the year or early next which suits me fine. I emailed Brompton a few days ago and they said they release batches of T-lines every couple of months so I don't anticipate waiting too long.

I’m “In love” with my wife. I “Love“ my Daughters and Grandchildren. I ”Like” driving my car and my bike. I go on Trips and Holiday in my Camper and that’s great.
I saw a program about some guy in America who married his car.
Takes all sorts I suppose.
I have owned some nice cars in my time and enjoyed driving them and occasionally felt a bit of pride that I owned them but they were just material possessions and I was never sad when they were sold. This feels different somehow…. But you are quite correct it is not like the love of a wife or child or grandchild…that would be weird

Well, ‘love or like it’, just semantics. What it gave me was that childlike, first two wheeler full size bike ‘freedom feeling’, that no other car in a lifetime of ownership from sports cars to SUVs gave.
We ‘love it’
Ditto.
Only had our 'Calivan" (as we affectionally call our new Ocean) for three days, but am already getting the tingle I last got when I first drove my beloved "69 early bay. Both seem to have that certain "soul' that all my other vehicles have lacked.

Hope that feeling lasts.

There is a hotel in Munich where you can actually sleep with your pride and joy. What happens in Munich stays in Munich.......

It would be worth going there with an old Lada just to see the looks on peoples faces!

Just away on our fourth trip since picking up our California Ocean in September. Wanted to share how I am feeling after months of anticipation. The first few trips I was too focused on judging all our decisions, concerned everything was working correctly and we had bought the right stuff….but in the early hours of this morning snuggling up with a very affectionate Labrador …it sort of hit me. I think I am falling in love with an inanimate object. If it is right for you then you can’t believe how good it makes you feel. I love the design, the way it drives etc.. but it sort of grabs you on a different level (or am I just going soft in my old age). Anyway just wanted to share that I get it now…I hope all the other recent owners have had the same emotional response to theirs!
My very wise 8 yr old granddaughter said we’re “emotionally attached”. So true.
When our last van (Toyota hiace) eventually died I cried like a baby.