Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I love my old Cali

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
This will be long!
I can't think of a better way to express my love of my 10-year old Cali than to tell you what it's done for me over the past 5 days. I had to travel from my home in the West Country of England to the East Coast (Suffolk) for a music gig and a formal social occasion. Which meant having to carry two guitars and associated gear, as well as a formal suit (which had to be hung up in the wardrobe). And then of course there had to be enough food and clothing for the rest of the 5 days I was away from home: allowing for the best and worst extremes of this country weather. And I took a bike!

Once I'd arrived and spent no more than 15 minutes sorting myself out, somehow I was just not aware of the presence of all this stuff: by sleeping up in the roof, the bedding was permanently made up "upstairs" and ready to pull down at night; the guitars were in the lower storage area in the back; the food was all either in the fridge or the cupboards under the sink. The clothes were in a suitcase on the back shelf, along with raincoats and things. Washing stuff was in the high pull-out cupboard, while al the other essential odds-and-ends were in the big drawer.

By sitting on the bench seat, you could reach the fridge, cooker, sink and food cupboards, and even operate the heater and radio by remote controls. On a sunny day, you could take advantage of the built-in picnic chairs, table and awning.

The journey was around 250 miles each way. Despite the usual horrendous traffic queues and roadworks, the van averaged just under 50 mph, and 36 mpg.

Who wouldn't want one! I just love it.

Nice. I had a 2008 174 - great vehicles if a little more thirsty in Tiptronic guise.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad