Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Love wild camping? Go Italian Alps!

Thank you. They really can't convey the scale of what you see.

Very true.
Italian alps are fantastic. Dolomites worth visiting too.

How do you think a 2WD would have coped ?

Fantastic. I am happy I asked. We where in France alps this summer but are going to Italy next and I love offroad.

Some of the pics were taken on the French side . I have been exploring the western Alps for many years but always in September.

Some of the pics were taken on the French side . I have been exploring the western Alps for many years but always in September.

As so few people ever use the tracks then. If I can figure out how to extract the route that I recoded on my sat nav I’ll post it. I love off road too. The Cali is perfect for the mountain tracks as anything larger just could not do most of them. I’d love to exchange track details with others who have found some cracking ones.

E90BB8B2-CDB5-488A-8EF8-ADF0C2B51AAC.png

That so reminded me of the some of the French and Italian Alps tracks we drove in the summer.

Love the video. Please can you post where that was as it’s my kind of place!

How do you think a 2WD would have coped ?
2WD could easily do 95% of the tracks I have done so long as not too wet and muddy. I’ve done quite a bit in a 2WD Cali and it’s fine but you just need to be more careful. The main reason I take my bike is to check dodgy looking tracks before committing. It has been known for me to drive up a track backwards as it was the only way to get enough traction. Several of the off the track places I have stayed overnight at I would never attempt in a 2WD but I really do enjoy pushing what the Cali can do and often find the limits. It really can take on some tough terrain if you take it easy and plan your way around / over obstacles. The most limiting factor for me has been the departure angle when going into some of the quite deep water run off trenches on tracks. If you have a tow bar best to fit it as will save damaging the bumper and spare.

Amazing pictures, what a great trip / experience.

I'm not sure I have the bottle to attempt all that with 2WD, but I've driven over the Alps three times in recent years & am always curious about what's just off the side of the beaten track - inspired to stray a little further next time. Thank you!

If I can figure out how to extract the route that I recoded on my sat nav I’ll post it.
View attachment 26954
The West-Alps are on our list, too. We would love to learn your tracks, once you have learned how to export and share them! :thumb
We already bought the track book with GPS-track data on a USB stick from Pistenkuh, but it is always good to have more track suggestions:
gps-offroad-reisefuehrer-westalpen-pistenkuh-1.jpg

Last edited:
The West-Alps are on our list, too. We would love to learn your tracks, once you have leaned how to export and share them! :thumb
We already bought the track book with GPS-track data on a USB stick from Pistenkuh, but it is always good to have more track suggestions:
gps-offroad-reisefuehrer-westalpen-pistenkuh-1.jpg

Thank you for the info. I will get a copy. This year I found a few new tracks on Wikiloc.com. Did some rated as moderate with out any problem. Most i have found on google maps by zooming in to find tracks at high altitude then going into street view to read any signs where they start. Searching the name of Cols usually also bring up what you need to know. Some have street view all along them so great for checking out places to sleep. Over the years more and more tracks are closed on certain days throughout July and August. The pic is the track bible I've seen others using. Also only in German unfortunately.

IMG_9335.jpg

Amazing pictures, what a great trip / experience.

I'm not sure I have the bottle to attempt all that with 2WD, but I've driven over the Alps three times in recent years & am always curious about what's just off the side of the beaten track - inspired to stray a little further next time. Thank you!
Many tracks are just unpaved public roads. Most are very easy with as much risk of damage as driving on UK roads. Just need to keep a good eye out for cattle and the unexpected. If you are going to the Western French or Italian Alps I'm sure I can find you an easy few stunners to do.

Yes, we know the Denzel book. German is not a problem for us. We have asked the latest edition for St Nicholas (in other parts of the world AKA Santa...) :)

Still, would love to learn your tracks, once you can share them! :cheers

What kind of sat nav you have ? Try some kind of export.
Great road trip
Its a TomTom 6100 but it seems to not have recorded anything. Happy to post a map link to where any of my pick were taken if wanted.

OK no Recording on sat nav. This is a test to see if i can sent a google map link of a track and a few pics from it. I can't get google to draw the route off road if pin is too near a road so track longer than shown at one end. Did it going south. Has lots and lots of very sharp switchbacks at the start that are great fun but a few you can't make in one go without reversing. Busy until you have gone over the Colle delle Finestre and turn right lower down. Then had the place to my self almost. Did 2 nights. Second half better. mostly good surface from what I remember.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/'....118946!1m3!2m2!1d6.911369!2d45.03587!3e0!5i2

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

OK no Recording on sat nav. This is a test to see if i can sent a google map link of a track and a few pics from it. I can't get google to draw the route off road if pin is too near a road so track longer than shown at one end. Did it going south. Has lots and lots of very sharp switchbacks at the start that are great fun but a few you can't make in one go without reversing. Busy until you have gone over the Colle delle Finestre and turn right lower down. Then had the place to my self almost. Did 2 nights. Second half better. mostly good surface from what I remember.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/'....118946!1m3!2m2!1d6.911369!2d45.03587!3e0!5i2

View attachment 26964

View attachment 26965

View attachment 26966

View attachment 26967

View attachment 26968

View attachment 26969

View attachment 26970

View attachment 26971

View attachment 26972

View attachment 26973

Just noticed there is street view all along this one.

Very nice pictures , seems you where very brave going on those tracks as many Cali's only stay on the tarmac.
I am not backing up when the concrete stops but never actually planned the off-road tracks so i guess a thing to concider .
Me very jeaulous;)

Very nice pictures , seems you where very brave going on those tracks as many Cali's only stay on the tarmac.
I am not backing up when the concrete stops but never actually planned the off-road tracks so i guess a thing to concider .
Me very jeaulous;)
Thank you. There is a very fine line between brave and stupid though. In all the miles done off road I have less damage than it has received just parked in city streets. I live and work in a city so wild camping is my escape away from noise and people. Just get such a buzz waking up to a well chosen mega view. It all started so the dog could be free. Only ever stayed in 2 campsites since I got him years ago and he was not a happy pooch being tethered to a van.

Great pictures skewif.
We did a bit off mountain climbing in ours a couple of years ago.
How where your tyres after it ? Mine were knackered after it and
were almost new before the trip. Mine is just a 2motion, i think
that´s where the problem lies.

Great pictures skewif.
We did a bit off mountain climbing in ours a couple of years ago.
How where your tyres after it ? Mine were knackered after it and
were almost new before the trip. Mine is just a 2motion, i think
that´s where the problem lies.
Thank you. Have the 17” cargo vectors fitted and they seem to be bulletproof. It’s a real fear having multiple punctures in remote places but so far not had one despite them getting a bit of a hammering at times on the last 3 trips there. I do carry tyre foam and a repair kit just in case. I just hope the Climate cross tyres I plan to fit next are as tough.