Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Low brake fluid

J

jeannie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hi hoping to get away fir a few days on Tuesday and just filled windscreen washer and saw my brake fluid is below the minimum. Can I just put some in or do I have to do anything else? I will go to dealership when I get home but is it safe to just top up fir the few days I’m away?

As the brake pads wear the brake piston moves out and the fluid drops, its not necessary to to keep topping it up as one of two things will happen; you be due a brake fluid change or you will need new pads, both will result in the fluid being topped up.

Hi hoping to get away fir a few days on Tuesday and just filled windscreen washer and saw my brake fluid is below the minimum. Can I just put some in or do I have to do anything else? I will go to dealership when I get home but is it safe to just top up fir the few days I’m away?
As @Loz says, but you will do no harm if you are happier to top it up. Just ensure you use the correct fluid.

As the brake pads wear the brake piston moves out and the fluid drops, its not necessary to to keep topping it up as one of two things will happen; you be due a brake fluid change or you will need new pads, both will result in the fluid being topped up.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I’m wondering if I can drive it a few hundred miles before getting it dealt with. I’m guessing I know the answer but loath to miss my break as won’t be able to get it fixed bank holiday Monday

Thanks for your reply. I guess I’m wondering if I can drive it a few hundred miles before getting it dealt with. I’m guessing I know the answer but loath to miss my break as won’t be able to get it fixed bank holiday Monday
If you are worried and there are no warning lights showing, pop to Halfords or equivalent and get the correct fluid, top it up, enjoy your holiday then discuss with Dealer. Take a Photo to show the level.

When checking the fluid level, check from the Side not the Front of the reservoir. It can be misleading.

Halfords should be OK if it’s just a top up and will be open on Monday.

If you are worried and there are no warning lights showing, pop to Halfords or equivalent and get the correct fluid, top it up, enjoy your holiday then discuss with Dealer. Take a Photo to show the level.

When checking the fluid level, check from the Side not the Front of the reservoir. It can be misleading.
Thank you will do

I suspect places such as Kwik Fit, ATS Tyres and F1 Auto Centers will also be open. These will check your brake fluid.

Did you take the top off the reservoir? Or are you just looking at it from the outside? Many think the fluid is low because of the way the reservoir is designed. But to get below minimum is a lot of fluid and brake pads don’t wear that quickly.

Thank you so. Why much fir being kind enough to reply. I really was quite desperate and worried. Following useful advice I was about to head to my local Halfords. Decided to follow advice and double check the amount of fluid
Low and behold when I wobbled them container I saw a ripple of liquids and indeed as mentioned it was actually up to the top !!! Thank you all what a caring lot you are

Thank you so. Why much fir being kind enough to reply. I really was quite desperate and worried. Following useful advice I was about to head to my local Halfords. Decided to follow advice and double check the amount of fluid
Low and behold when I wobbled them container I saw a ripple of liquids and indeed as mentioned it was actually up to the top !!! Thank you all what a caring lot you are
It’s never as bad as you originally thought...LOL...

Back