Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Maiden Voyage for Bluebell

Padders13

Padders13

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Just back and all cleaned up from our first weekend away with Bluebell, our new Beach, so called because I just fancied the name (my favourite flower) and then approaching VW Lancashire last Monday for the pickup, we drive along Bluebell way. Serendipity! So the name stuck.

Of course we loved it (her?) Just a short drive on Friday evening, up and over into Swaledale from Kirkby Stephen to stop at the wonderful Hoggarths farm camping field. This more or less wild camping with just a portaloo and a spring comprising the facilities, but really, what more do you need? Just £4 each BTW, and lads groups discouraged. Our neighbours were an impossibly bright and polite set of kids doing their gold DOE across the Pennines. Packed up and gone before 8 and we never heard them go, so well were we sleeping and so quiet were they. Prior to that, we had a great evening playing with all the little toys that come with a Cali, and we drank some wine; secure in our midge-free lounge later on when the little beasties came out to play. Now that was an improvement over tenting for sure. We have however, already ordered a Brandup insect net for the sliding window, just to allow a little more ventilation. My attempt at a home made sliding door insect screen did not work alas, but stronger magnets might get the mk2 version a little better. Plenty of driving and walking the next day, and then to the C and CC site at Barnard Castle, ready for a dog agility show the next day. More on that in Cali dogs later, but suffice it to say, Bluebell made a wonderful base for our day at the showground, a great place to chill between the classes. The C and CC site was equally blissful for a luxury experience and just a decent walk (maybe 1 1/2 miles?) from the town, which if you have never been, is a gem.

So, 10/10 to VW, and planning another weekender already before a longer trip in August. Next job: bike rack. I have a huge box with 'Thule bacpac' on in the hall to contemplate this evening. I'll get those Cali bikes on the back next time (Giant Anthem X and a tricked -out Orange steely as you ask)

See you on the road
ian
bluebell.jpg

Sounds like a great start to your Cali adventures! I hope you had a successful day at the agility show too. :thumb

Welcome Ian, van looks great :thumb

Site sounds great too, why not write a review in the campsite reviews so people know about it?

Campsite Reviews

Colin