Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

March 2020 UK Budget reversal of tax decision of relevance?

vananarama

vananarama

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Afternoon. This may be a non-starter but my dad showed me an article in today's Times that says the government has reversing its vehicle excise duty. It had meant, according to the article, that camper vans registered after September 2019 were being classified as cars rather than commercial vehicles (vans?) as they had previously.

Having just bought a 2018 California (registered in Sept 2018 by first owner, a VW franchise) I'm a little confused as my van is also classed as a car. So are Californias always classified as cars, and is it the case that the article doesn't apply to 'us'? Sorry for my ignorance – spent 7 years as a happy owner of a T5 Kombi Highline van, so not used to the extra windows, having a first floor, or driving a 'car' yet!

Thanks/diolch!

Afternoon. This may be a non-starter but my dad showed me an article in today's Times that says the government has reversing its vehicle excise duty. It had meant, according to the article, that camper vans registered after September 2019 were being classified as cars rather than commercial vehicles (vans?) as they had previously.

Having just bought a 2018 California (registered in Sept 2018 by first owner, a VW franchise) I'm a little confused as my van is also classed as a car. So are Californias always classified as cars, and is it the case that the article doesn't apply to 'us'? Sorry for my ignorance – spent 7 years as a happy owner of a T5 Kombi Highline van, so not used to the extra windows, having a first floor, or driving a 'car' yet!

Thanks/diolch!
The California stays the same diesel car, just puts the larger vans/coachbuilts etc back to N1 commercial rates

Thanks/diolch!
Correct it doesn’t apply to the California.
The article refers to Coach built Motorhomes.
One spin off of these changes is that the VW Transporter conversions, although based on a Commercial N1 vehicle can no longer have their body type changed to Campervan. DVLA will only change it to Van with Windows.

Correct it doesn’t apply to the California.
The article refers to Coach built Motorhomes.
One spin off of these changes is that the VW Transporter conversions, although based on a Commercial N1 vehicle can no longer have their body type changed to Campervan. DVLA will only change it to Van with Windows.
Tidy. Thanks for confirming.