Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Massive oil leak 2016 T6 150.

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just found a massive puddle of oil under the van having just parked up. Whole lower side of the driver's side of the engine is coated in oil. Its dark and wet and I cant easily see without taking the cover off what is going on. Are there any classic T6 problems that could cause a leak of that proportion? 30k on the clock. 6 months out of warranty. Rather fed up. VW Assist coming out first thing tomorrow.

Anything to put my mind at rest (or otherwise) much appreciated. Oil light hasn't come on at any point.

Last edited:
Not sure I can help with regards to common problems but the fact it went on the drive instead of whilst driving could well be a bonus as it may have saved your engine (depending on the current issue of course).

I read recently that crankshaft oil seals at both ends can develop leaks on Transporter based vehicles however I doubt if that would happen suddenly or produce so much oil so quickly.
Also one member did report loosing all his engine oil on a nearly new van. If memory serves, that was down to the sump plug coming out!!!
Have you had it serviced recently or run over anything that could have caused damage?

Anyway good luck with that. Keep us informed.

The oil seals were done a few months ago under warranty. I checked the oil earlier today and topped up a litre. In terms of damage - if the oil hasn't been low enough for the light to come on then can it still have caused damage?

The oil seals were done a few months ago under warranty. I checked the oil earlier today and topped up a litre. In terms of damage - if the oil hasn't been low enough for the light to come on then can it still have caused damage?
You should be OK if there’s been no light on

I presume when you had the oil seals done this would have been in conjunction with an oil change?
How many miles have you travelled since?
It seems suspicious that you checked the oil level today, added 1 Litre and then have an oil puddle on the floor.

Anything to put my mind at rest (or otherwise) much appreciated. Oil light hasn't come on at any point.
My old van lost almost all its oil the day after it had been serviced, the seal on the oil filter had been pinched. It did about 50 motorway miles, then decided to let go half a mile from home the next day. A low oil light flashed up for literally a second or two then went out. It took 4 litres to get to the bottom of the dipstick.

From that I wouldn’t rely on a warning light & you may be lucky with a simple seal.

No leak before your top-up today?

Just a ridiculous thought? The oil filler tube is connected to the engine?
Crank shaft oil seal would not leak to that level you get a drip or build up in crank case, sump is lower than the crank shaft
cant see you have done any damage if the light hasn’t come on

Oil leak is black oil so not new oil spill. I thought it was strange that it needed topping up - it has always used very little oil. Smelled oil on parking up so had a quick look at the dipstick level (to check I hadn't over filled etc) and saw it had dropped....then saw the oil all over the lower part of the auxiliary belt area and below.

First thing to do would be look from above for obvious signs of a leak whilst the van is running (may need to check oil level first and keep topped up, but if it’s that serve you should see the leak ) then if nothing is obvious, get the van up on a ramp, remove the under tray and look for obvious signs of the leak.
did you have the gearbox seal, timing pulley seal or both changed?

My old van lost almost all its oil the day after it had been serviced, the seal on the oil filter had been pinched. It did about 50 motorway miles, then decided to let go half a mile from home the next day. A low oil light flashed up for literally a second or two then went out. It took 4 litres to get to the bottom of the dipstick.

From that I wouldn’t rely on a warning light & you may be lucky with a simple seal.
That’s why it’s always best to take your vehicle to a garage that knows how to fit an oil filter.

That’s why it’s always best to take your vehicle to a garage that knows how to fit an oil filter.
You would have thought a VW commercial dealer would know how to do it wouldn't you?

Using a Smartphone on camera record and holding it up or down into the area to get a 'birds eye' view of the area can reveal a problem that your eye vision can't reach. Hit and miss affair but works with a few attempts needed to get the view required.

With the oil being that high up I would suspect it is the O ring on the oil filter.
If it is, you should just about be able to see the oil coming out when the engine is running, but not when it’s turned off.

ok, turned out to be crankshaft front seal. All replaced by dealer under warranty along with other stuff that was contaminated with oil. They were really good and just sorted it. Thanks everyone for helpful comments along the way - its been a nasty few days not knowing if we were in for a crazy bill.

All replaced by dealer under warranty along with other stuff that was contaminated with oil.
Good news then - I thought you said it was 6 months out of warranty - was it done under goodwill?

Mine suddenly dropped 'a lot' of oil onto the road (T6 / 150 / 30K miles) randomly overnight once, but no recent work or oil light warning - enough to be able to see the slick spreading on my Nest camera across the street ... I took it to the Dealership who claimed to have fixed, but it then did it again about a week later. I was just out of warranty too, but got a goodwill contribution from VW HQ.

Next time I'm in the desk I will dig out both job-sheets - I've been busy since & can't recall what it was in the end - but no issues since.

As an aside no single fault I've ever had with the van has been fixed on the first dealership visit - I usually have to go for quote, a first fix, and then a final visit to remediate. Has been the same with tailgate repair (still not right), oil leak, sat nav (still not right), alloys upgrade ...

Back