Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress covers

G

Gary217

Hi - we're new on here (have posted an introduction) but have had a VW T5 conversion for some time which we use extensively in the UK and europe.

We are pretty taken with the Cali Beach (it nicely surprised us when we looked at it) so are deliberating on whether to upgrade to one....so apologies in advance for any basic questions. However, having looked through this section I am intrigued with one 'extra' that people seem to be buying which seems to mattresses or mattress covers to go on the bed. Why are these needed please? Is the standard bed not very comfortable? Or is this just to protect the seat? Thanks.

You don't want to sleep on the gaps, joints or the seat belt clips!

There is a VW option, a Brandrup option (the caravelle mattress) and the one from an independent on here so far.

We haven't bought an additional mattress yet, but are considering buy the 'self inflatable' camping mats. Mainly this is just to miss out the joints as mentioned by biker boy. The belts and seat belt plugs do actually tuck inside the seats when it's in the bed position. I'd also say though that the 'roof' bed is extremely comfortable as it comes - it's slatted and so very comfy!!!

For the beach itself - we thinks it's brilliant! Very comfortable, has lots of nice little extras and well thought out! We considered a conversion before buying ours, but we are very happy with our choice.

Good luck with your decision. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Kim

I bought the mattress mostly to cover the gaps etc., but also given that you have such a vast load space you have to fill it up with something :grin:

Something to be wary of, is that whilst it fits beautifully when the board is fully extended, it doesn't fit so well, with the rear seat in the back most config, though this is probably only an issue for those with middle seats.

Thanks for the replies, interesting as the (aftermarket) bed in our current van is as flat as a board and very comfy when opened out albeit only a 3/4 width. Obviously the seat/bed in the Beach is far better as a seat (proper installation, seat belted properly, on rails etc) so it scores in that respect, but didn't realise there was a compromise in bed comfort.

We use our van for literally weeks at a time across Europe, so need to be sure the bed is comfortable - wonder if the dealer's going to let us kip down for an hour or so to test it?

Gary217 said:
Thanks for the replies, interesting as the (aftermarket) bed in our current van is as flat as a board and very comfy when opened out albeit only a 3/4 width. Obviously the seat/bed in the Beach is far better as a seat (proper installation, seat belted properly, on rails etc) so it scores in that respect, but didn't realise there was a compromise in bed comfort.

We use our van for literally weeks at a time across Europe, so need to be sure the bed is comfortable - wonder if the dealer's going to let us kip down for an hour or so to test it?

I'd say the bed was comfy without a mattress - it's not as comfy as my T3 whose back seat folds into a bed - but that is blessed with spongy grey velour seats.

We slept in Exeter Services last night - after a trip to the wild wild south west (my dad lives in St Ives). We haven't purchased a mattress yet - the seats are fine without a mattress, they might be a bit hard for some, but they are okay for a night or two - actually we have found sleeping with our legs towards the tailgate more comfortable. The Beach seats are better than Caravelle seats as a bed. I suspect the two seater bench option might be more comfortable as i believe it is bigger.

I would agree with the above points and say any longer away would benefit from a mattress, the load space is vast - the bed is big - you know you have plenty of room.

Personally i don't notice the gaps in the seats, again, as said, the belts tuck away and you have a pretty flat surface.

The upstairs bed is very very comfortable :)

James

We found the downstairs mattress 'OK' and weren't too bothered about the joins or the seatbelts providing uncomfy areas. We did, however, buy a topper and were staggered at the increase in comfort when sleeping downstairs to the extent that we would never be without it if sleeping downstairs.

Except for the fact that we rarely sleep downstairs now: prefering to sleep upstairs because it's very comfy indeed and the level of comfort is not increased by the topper - so we rarely take the topper with us.

I know this is quite an old post - but I am going to add a bit here.

What you must remember about the California Beach is that it's standard set up is the two seater bench and storage box.

The two seater bench is the same as the full fat Cali - longer and flatter and designed to give a proper bed.

The three seater bench is an option and the idea is, it is those who want more Caravelle like practicality. The three seater bench is not designed to be as comfortable as the two seater. If camping is your bag and you are away a lot - the two seater bench would be preferable in the Beach.

Dealers in this country seem to have to virtually specced every version with the no cost three seater bench - because to customers, particularly in the UK where multivans/day vans/weekend campers are not a popular idea, maybe convinced by them on the grounds of practicality.

James

Back