Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Max wattage/Ampage when on hook up?

Lost Boy

Lost Boy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does anyone know if there is a max wattage or ampage for the 3 pin UK plug in the van when on electric hookup. I understand it depends on the site you are on and the ampage available, but wanted to understand what the van is capable of....before I fry the internal electrics!!

Thanks

The blue socket/plug is rated at 16A but any plug you put in the van will only have a maximum of 13A.
But as you said, a site owner may fit a breaker of any size up to the maximum 16A.
So the maximum in the van is 13A plus a little(3A) for the onboard charger unless advised lower by the site operator.

Most hookpus on sites are 10a or 16a.

Additionally
Electrical Maximum power rating socket:
12-volt 120 watts
230-volt 2500 watts

The manual is in the VIP area and shows the details of the electric mains socket (page 164 in t6). The RCD should cut in at 13a apparently.

Thanks both, so are you saying if I was plugged in at home in theory I could run a 2kw electric heater using the 230v socket?

Awesome, girlfriends hairdryer is 2100W and up until now I haven't let her use it for fear of frying the internals, she will be pleased. Thanks for your help.

Thanks both, so are you saying if I was plugged in at home in theory I could run a 2kw electric heater using the 230v socket?
Correct.

Awesome, girlfriends hairdryer is 2100W and up until now I haven't let her use it for fear of frying the internals, she will be pleased. Thanks for your help.
Yes, but I wouldn't encourage it, otherwise it will be blenders, microwaves and electric blankets next... :) :)

She's not so bad for all that other stuff, but with a hairdryer it will save going into the pub for dinner with her looking like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards...:embarrased

yes and that is total wattage for the socket so nothing else significant plugged in whilst drying to the hair ;)

She's not so bad for all that other stuff, but with a hairdryer it will save going into the pub for dinner with her looking like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards...:embarrased

Just be careful if you pop over the channel for a lot of continental camp sites have significantly less than the 13/16A you find commonly on UK sites.

If you decide to knock off the power supply to all of Pierre's other happy campers it may be you being dragged backwards through the hedge :D