Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1 socket, 2 sockets... how many sockets...?

Rocco Cerullo

Rocco Cerullo

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

getting my head round the sockets in the van. Managed to figure out what the 12v sockets run off and max power to plug in them. However, I'm a little lost to what the max powered device I plug into the 12v socket where the lid on it says max 20A. Any ideas?
1. does it run on the mains hook up?
2. will it run on the leisure battery?
3. what is the highest wattage device will it power?

Manual is cryptic...

Rocco

The sockets are rated at 20A but are only fused to 15A.

All the sockets are supplied by the leisure batteries except the one by the gear lever that is on the starter battery.

All the sockets are supplied by the leisure batteries except the one by the gear lever that is on the starter battery.
So can be treated like other 12v sockets?

Wow. small world. sounds good to me. What's the best way to contact you?

Yes, thats why I ask as I'm not VIP (yet).

ok, thanks.

The dashboard 12v socket is not guaranteed to be powered from the engine battery. Some Calis, mine included, have that socket powered off the leisure batteries. The technicians have to go online armed with the VIN number of the vehicle to find out what is what apparently

I have 4 x15amp fuses under the passenger seat and have double checked this with a USB adaptor.

By the way, I have been told recently that it is a sackable offence for VW dealer staff to give customers any information about the fuses on their vehicles. Apparently an edict from VWUK and endorsed certainly by my local dealer and probably others too.

Health and Safety was cited. So instead we poke about to work out what does what! How is that any safer!

Alan

The dashboard 12v socket is not guaranteed to be powered from the engine battery. Some Calis, mine included, have that socket powered off the leisure batteries. The technicians have to go online armed with the VIN number of the vehicle to find out what is what apparently

I have 4 x15amp fuses under the passenger seat and have double checked this with a USB adaptor.

By the way, I have been told recently that it is a sackable offence for VW dealer staff to give customers any information about the fuses on their vehicles. Apparently an edict from VWUK and endorsed certainly by my local dealer and probably others too.

Health and Safety was cited. So instead we poke about to work out what does what! How is that any safer!

Alan
Beats me!! You’d think they’d let you know so you can make the right purchases and make the most of the vehicle.
At least they have a trip so if anything it’ll cut out. But then you’re stuck with the too and frow at the store.

The dashboard 12v socket is not guaranteed to be powered from the engine battery. Some Calis, mine included, have that socket powered off the leisure batteries.
He has a 2018 so unless they have changed this again it should be as the wiring diagram I was quoting from but I'll double check when we meet up..

He has a 2018 so unless they have changed this again it should be as the wiring diagram I was quoting from but I'll double check when we meet up..
You would think so, but I was surprised too when I was told my cup holder socket was on the leisure battery. I was fitting a dash top storage socket and needed to be able to pull the right fuse.

Alan

Yeah Manual says dash 12v is on main battery. Others are from leisure battery...

Yeah Manual says dash 12v is on main battery. Others are from leisure battery...
Hmm, personally I would check for 3 x 15amp fuses under the passenger seat before believing the manual.
If you have 4 x blue fuses then it isn't. There is no rhyme or reason to the way these vans are wired in my experience.

Alan

I seem to remember in the manual of one of our earlier Calis there was an instruction to remove the fuse from the fresh water pump to enable the tap to be open while the tank was drained for winter. Or did I see that somewhere else? :confused:

I seem to remember in the manual of one of our earlier Calis there was an instruction to remove the fuse from the fresh water pump to enable the tap to be open while the tank was drained for winter. Or did I see that somewhere else? :confused:
That may be the case, but a VW dealer tech will not be able to tell which fuse it is.....

Alan

I hope VWCC are indemnified for any claims that may arise leading from advice on this forum! :D

Correct, but it is a lot easier just to unplug the Tap. Remove cutlery draw and follow wire from tap as it goes to the R side of the sink. There is a connection plug/socket shrouded in some grey foam. Pull out the lead where it is tucked up by the sink. Pull back the Foam, unplug. Switch on tap and wait for the gurgling to stop . Close tap, Re-connect the plug, pull down the foam cover and push the connector back into position at the side of the sink. Much/much easier. Oh, and replace cutlery draw.

Thank you for the advice and info. Really pick up lots from you guys.

I’ve made arrangements to meet Loz who lives locally and hopefully educate me with his wisdom.

would it be too much trouble to put a switch under the sink?
I think you like working under the sink! :D

That reminds me, must look in to fitting those drawers!

Back