Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1 socket, 2 sockets... how many sockets...?

I have successfully boiled 750ml of water in a 200 watt kettle from the 12 volt sockets.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/waeco-dometic-compact-12-volt-kettle-750ml

It took ~45 minutes for the water to boil and has probably permanently damaged my leisure battery, but the coffee was good.

Amarillo, hard to seperate the fact from the fun.... Are those kettles just for hook up? What would happen if I plugged in a 24V 250W kettle to the leisure battery? Would I damage something or what??

Amarillo, hard to seperate the fact from the fun.... Are those kettles just for hook up? What would happen if I plugged in a 24V 250W kettle to the leisure battery? Would I damage something or what??
My 12 volt kettle is designed for cars without hookup. Unfortunately, drawing ~15 amps for ~45 minutes rapidly depletes the battery and may well do lasting damage to the battery. It may be OK if the battery is being charged from the engine running, hookup, or bright sunlight on a solar charger, but the kettle we have needs to be used with great care.

If you used a 24v DC kettle it wouldn't work. The Cali only runs on 12v DC.

Alan

Wire the two SE/Ocean leisure batteries in series not parallel.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Yes, you could, but you would then need to change or disconnect the Fridge and heater plus all the lighting and the 12v sockets... oh! and disconnect the split charge system and replace the charger and inverter and is the roof pump run off the leisure batteries or the engine battery?...

I assume you were not serious Tom!

Alan

I was being theoretical.

Could you install switches to flip the batteries from series to parallel when wanting to boil a 24 volt kettle.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Yes it is possible. All of the 12v side would have to be disconnect first before the switch reconnected the batteries in series which included an appropriate socket.

Alan

Going back to where the sockets are fed from, in my 2016 Beach the 12v socket on the front face of the dash is fed from the starter battery, the 12v socket on the top of the dash is fed from the leisure battery along with the three in the back, when my leisure battery went down I could still use the one on the front of the dash.

Back