Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Maxxfan installation - Cali Exclusive

tdi_ywg

tdi_ywg

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Greetings,
I have purchased a Maxxfan roof vent to replace the original one in my CE. Initially I was planning to just enlarge the existing roof vent hole to accommodate the Maxxfan and then realized that the larger Maxxfan will interfere with our roof rack. Plan B was developed, which was to install it aft of the the existing vent, just in front of the toilet door. Unfortunately there appears to be some structural elements in the roof roughly 10cm aft of the existing vent, and I am unable to determine exactly where those structural elements go.
I would prefer plan B, but am not willing to make "test cuts" in my fibreglass roof...so I am back now to plan A and will just modify the roof rack so the Maxxfan can at least partially open.
Has anyone ever seen pictures that show what is going on between the layers of fibreglass in the CE roof? Has anyone ever installed a roof vent in my "plan B" location?
Thanks!
Scotty

I hope you get your answer but you’ll know you are asking if anyone has done an extremely rare job on an extremely rare vehicle. Because of the risks involved, I have to ask why are you making the change?
There is a high top van group on Facebook and a good Westy group. In one of those I’ve seen I think two roof removals to fix bodywork rust and resealing, so hopefully you can track one of those folk down to help in your research. I’m guessing the maxxfan with improve ventilation in the van but i never found mine too bad, and given the risk of potentially writing your van off by the project going wrong, I’d advise great caution.

Thank-you, much appreciated. The pic was very useful.

Original location is definitely large enough to accommodate. I've removed the original vent and the plywood from between the layers of fibreglass and there is a lot of room to work with. I'll just have to get creative with the roof rack.

We have many hot, humid nights here with and the ventilation is just not sufficient. I am being extremely careful and thorough with this job as I very much appreciate the risk involved. As my wife, who very much wants this vent installed, said "Don't wreck my roof!"

Thanks again.

Good. I won’t chase you each time the link gets updated but they are a helpful bunch and it will get more replies there,

I'll have my wife keep an eye on it, as I do not use FB!
Thanks again.

Hey 2into1,
Requested to join the Westy FB page you linked to above and waiting to be accepted. Might you be able to nudge someone there on my behalf?
Thanks!

Back