Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes new 2014 Marco Polo

Westfalia have also announced they will launch a pop top vw camper - that will be very different from the Cali.

hi,been interested in this vehicle since announced, off to nec show this saturday,westfalia will be there i have been told,not sure there conversions will be on display, hope so, will still enjoy the day if not( might settle for a lhd) ;)

2006 reflex silver auto 2.5tdi

Oli says that merc vito's are a pile sing , so I'm assuming these must be as well being a merc Vito base van and Oli being the van guru ;-) lol

I have had a Vito as my work van for the past 7 years and never had a problem with it apart from a seatbelt repaired under warranty, I wish I could say that about my California !!!!!

Kirk said:
I have had a Vito as my work van for the past 7 years and never had a problem with it apart from a seatbelt repaired under warranty, I wish I could say that about my California !!!!!

My point exactly Kirk ... Just because it has a Vw badge don't make it the best ... My friends have had vito's as work and surf van for years as well and had less issues than other fellow t5 owners that have been plagued with problems ..

choplee said:
VERY NICE ...... bellows look interesting :thumb

It looks as though the bellows has small sections which presumably collapse in a way that avoids the problems with the Cali bellows.......simple but clever!

I know it's not "in house"..

but as a long-time admirer of auto sleepers I went to the NEC all excited to see the AS wave based on a vito.

I still feel disappointed.

The interior of the Wave was desperate, really, ... but the biggest letdown was the base vehicle. The cab just felt flimsy. Sorry, I know it's a merc and merc's are supposed to be super-swish and built like panzers but... honestly... it made the fiat ducato look good and the peugot boxer simply sublime.

I left the NEC, climbed into scruffy down-market albert looking all tatty, dirty, old fashioned...

patted his bonnet, wiped away a tear from his headlamps, climbed into the cab and immediately had that feel good "fit for purpose" feeling. It felt solid, chunky, ready to bounce over anything, when the vito felt like ... a van.

I know I am a total engineering numbskull that would not know a round wheel from a square one but I do know when something gives me that reassuring "go anywhere, go forever" feeling and the VW, in all its forms at the NEC, was the only base vehicle that did.

Jen - you real should write for a living.

Oh, you do. :mrgreen:

logyk said:
choplee said:
VERY NICE ...... bellows look interesting :thumb

It looks as though the bellows has small sections which presumably collapse in a way that avoids the problems with the Cali bellows.......simple but clever!

Or the bellows has some very clever looking panels that possibly, probably even, conceal a host of problems that will only manifest themselves with prolonged use, and be an unknown quantity until it sells in cali numbers and Marco Polo owners get together to collectively compare notes.

The cali has a known weakness. I knew all about it, chapter and verse, when I bought mine. I have largely mitigated against that known weakness by buying a £13 bit of bungee cord.

To a far greater degree though I have mitigated against that weakness by knowing about it in the first place! The strength of the Cali is that all it's weaknesses are now known. Not so with the MP.

post deleted on the grounds that I am being excessively gobby :oops:

We've never had a roof bellow issue and ours has come down in a force 10 storm.
We're just careful.

Front end puts me off just do not like its look , silly face with a big smile on it, sure itis very nice but could not live with that look

The Merc looks a lot more luxurious than the VW but lacks some of the practical features we take for granted such as the chairs in the rear door and the outside table in the sliding door.

There is an "idyllic" video of the Merc online, toward the end the man lifts up the rear shelf where the table and chairs are, and they appear to take up the entire space.

I would guess that there would be a price premium over the VW too, with all that leather, and a dashboard out of an E Class!

The more basic "Active" version (their version of the Beach) has a lot plainer, commercial vehicle, dashboard.

Colin