Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Message on a bottle...

CaliPuds

CaliPuds

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I am very grateful for this beginners section!!

OK, so I bought a full 907 bottle. It feels full, it sounds full and it weighs 6.5kg so that seems right (for a full bottle).

However, it has this odd message on it, saying "this newly manufactured air-charged cylinder contains no butane gas" which has thrown me a bit, since if it doesn't contain butane gas then what does it contain? And it certainly doesn't look very new.

Is it because whoever used and filled the bottle from new didn't remove the label or should I be doing something else?

Thanks again... Susi

907 bottle.jpg

I think it will be filled with propane. One of these 2 gases has better properties for winter camping. It wont be an issue being inboard the Cali though.

Bit more info here
"When the fuel needs to be stored for a long time, propane is a better choice than butane. It stores well in variable weather conditions and even below freezing temperature will not affect the storage conditions of propane because of its propetries. When people need to go camping, hiking or mountain climbing, especially in cold weather, propane is preferred over butane as a fuel for cooking. Since propane gas is odorless, leaks are harder to detect. For this reason, ethanethiol is mixed with propane so that leaks can be easily detected."

"Is it because whoever used and filled the bottle from new didn't remove the label or should I be doing something else? "

I would suspect this is the case. also has Gaz red seal on bottle.
In "go out doors" they have empty new bottles on show Full ones are out the back - these feel empty.

I think it is the old manufacturing label still left on.

If it weighs 6.5kg then it can only be full of gas .....

I weigh ten times that amount but only because I'm full of hot air ....:eek:

If it was full of air it would not weigh 6.5 Kgm. Also if full of Butane/Propane then these are in liquid form when pressurised in the cylinder. Give it a shake and you feel liquid sloshing around then it is gas.

Thanks everybody. It definitely makes a sloshing noise, so it is full of something (propane or butane) and I'll just assume the label is old. And that the hob doesn't mind whether propane or butane.

One of these days, preferably before the end of July, I will get this darn gas bottle fitted (instructions currently spread out all over my duvet on the rear shelf).

Of course one can be ever so lavish and buy an indispensable camping gaz barbecue which easily screws onto a 907.

If the swordfish steaks, delicately marinated with a touch of lime and chilli of course, grill to perfection then it's definitely butane. Sit back, enjoy with a nice crisp well-chilled chablis or sancerre and congratulate yourself on an absolutely inspired piece of product testing.

As long as the 907 fits more easily to the BBQ than it does to the Cali... (and with fewer sets of instructions; I'm currently looking at 3 different ones!) otherwise we will be severely undernourished. Although Blaze would happily eat the steaks even if not grilled to perfection. Or even grilled.

I do like the extended product testing approach though.... (as I'm about to have my fifth night sleeping on the drive). I really must go somewhere soon otherwise that fine engine was a bit of a waste of money!

Camping Gaz is butane - it says so - look at the painted label around the top shoulder. The label must have been left on from manufacture - it says at the bottom "Please remember to remove this label when the cylinder is hired"