MFSW Retrofit - Major Issues

Rob Clift

Rob Clift

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help?!.

After working through my wish list of upgrades - bigger tyres , side bars lights, remap etc etc...there’s always something!!..I decided to add a set of multi function steering wheel buttons as my next ‘little’project.

After lots of google research!..seemed like a fairly straightforward job,- steering wheel/airbag off, change the buttons, replace wire loom, connect two wires one to 12v supply and one to bcm, put back together, code to mfsw, job done!. So bit the bullet, took a bravery pill and did the job.

Now the problem!!- My Van has somehow gone into an engine shut down mode /Immobilised and the red brake warningI light / alarm- ‘take to workshop’ is displayed. The Van will start and then switch off after 3 seconds and then will just turn over & not start .No power to the lights, central locking etc...Now that wasn’t in the instructions!!!

So... reversed the install put it back to how it was
and pretended it never happened!!

Unfortunately the warning is still active symptoms remain & it seems to have locked out any attempt
to reset. OBD reads no fault codes though! Have checked the fuses , ensured the BCM is properly seated ,but at a loss of where to go next, apart from take to VW

Lots of past issues with ignition switches, so wonder if I may have inadvertently damaged it
when taking the housing &steering wheel off which will check today.

Hoping its an imobilser,engine management issue rather than anything else though, but any suggestions on how to clear / reset would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Rob

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help?!.

After working through my wish list of upgrades - bigger tyres , side bars lights, remap etc etc...there’s always something!!..I decided to add a set of multi function steering wheel buttons as my next ‘little’project.

After lots of google research!..seemed like a fairly straightforward job,- steering wheel/airbag off, change the buttons, replace wire loom, connect two wires one to 12v supply and one to bcm, put back together, code to mfsw, job done!. So bit the bullet, took a bravery pill and did the job.

Now the problem!!- My Van has somehow gone into an engine shut down mode /Immobilised and the red brake warningI light / alarm- ‘take to workshop’ is displayed. The Van will start and then switch off after 3 seconds and then will just turn over & not start .No power to the lights, central locking etc...Now that wasn’t in the instructions!!!

So... reversed the install put it back to how it was
and pretended it never happened!!

Unfortunately the warning is still active symptoms remain & it seems to have locked out any attempt
to reset. OBD reads no fault codes though! Have checked the fuses , ensured the BCM is properly seated ,but at a loss of where to go next, apart from take to VW

Lots of past issues with ignition switches, so wonder if I may have inadvertently damaged it
when taking the housing &steering wheel off which will check today.

Hoping its an imobilser,engine management issue rather than anything else though, but any suggestions on how to clear / reset would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Rob
Unfortunately not many Forum members carry out such modifications. If they do then they certainly don’t post about it.
i think you are more likely to get some assistance from the T5 Forum Section here.

Hi so did you already have the switch on the end of the wiper stalk for multi function dash ? If so have you disconnected the wires to that switch ? To make the mfsw work you have to tap into the lin bus system do you have any fault codes you can take pictures of and post. Also the instructions that you had to do the job in the first place and I maybe able to help you

Hi so did you already have the switch on the end of the wiper stalk for multi function dash ? If so have you disconnected the wires to that switch ? To make the mfsw work you have to tap into the lin bus system do you have any fault codes you can take pictures of and post. Also the instructions that you had to do the job in the first place and I maybe able to help you

Hi , thanks for the reply!

Yes there is the MFD switch on the stalk, I didn't disconnected the wires , which probably didn't help, but wasn't on the attached instructions/ and this post - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/diy-retrofit-mfsw-it-works.4316/

There are no fault codes to show unfortunately even after scanning all 171 modules which is quite strange! My local garage are suggesting the transponder/ecu needs to be recoded to the key as the engine is immobilized ( starts and shuts off after 2 secs) , so looks like I will have to get to VW and fess up and open the wallet!

Attachments

• VW_T5_MSW.pdf
    432.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi , thanks for the reply!

Yes there is the MFD switch on the stalk, I didn't disconnected the wires , which probably didn't help, but wasn't on the attached instructions/ and this post - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/diy-retrofit-mfsw-it-works.4316/

There are no fault codes to show unfortunately even after scanning all 171 modules which is quite strange! My local garage are suggesting the transponder/ecu needs to be recoded to the key as the engine is immobilized ( starts and shuts off after 2 secs) , so looks like I will have to get to VW and fess up and open the wallet!
Hi just double check that the two pin connector is properly connected on the reader coil on your ignition barrel. There is no reason for a immobilized vehicle after that you have done. I will check wiring diagrams etc when I get into work tomorrow morning and see what I can come up with.

Hi just double check that the two pin connector is properly connected on the reader coil on your ignition barrel. There is no reason for a immobilized vehicle after that you have done. I will check wiring diagrams etc when I get into work tomorrow morning and see what I can come up with.

That would be great, thanks!