Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mi-Fi wireless broadband router

Californiaman

Californiaman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I like to get away from it all, hence the Cali but sometimes, it is good to be connected - be that to watch a movie online (or I hate to say it... take the work laptop away with me...)

A good alternative not to a USB 3G dongle per device or buying tablets etc with a built in SIM is the "mifi". They've been around for a little while now and are pretty useful items.

I've recently purchased one for myself... and use it to connect a HP Tablet, Laptop, iPhones etc (you can connect up to 5 devices concurrently). The device itself has a SIM (in my case a PAYG SIM) and then shares a wifi connection in a similar way to your wireless broadband at home. Its pretty quick with a 3G connection but if you get an HSPA connection, it is blinding...

I paid £70 for the hardware from Amazon and a further £11 for a 3gb/3month SIM from 3. As the hardware isn't locked to a particular provider, you can buy a selection of SIM's depening on reception in the area you find yourself travelling to (or cheap ones aborad etc..)

Further review here: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...modem-routers/huawei-mifi-e586-1005060/review

Good post Mark, I am also the same as you and need to be connected while away for my business.

Also most high end phones now have a built in 'WiFi Tethering' , so you can basically use your phone as the 'hot spot' and then connect your ipad, laptop etc.. to the phone as you would with your Wifi router at home.

Mark,

I use a MIFI in exactly the same way, it has the advantage over a tethered phone in that it behaves exactly the same way as a home WiFi network... In particular allows network play on iDevices...

Scrabble, Monopoly etc being real family favourites with us and stops us taking up that all too valuable storage space with board games.

Good Reminder

Thanks

M

SimplyDubs said:
Mark,

I use a MIFI in exactly the same way, it has the advantage over a tethered phone in that it behaves exactly the same way as a home WiFi network... In particular allows network play on iDevices...M

Any late Android phone with built in Wifi will operate exactly the same as the MiFi, not too sure about the iPhone though, I even use mine via logmein so I get access to my office computer remotley.

This is another of those threads that for me, may as well be written in Chinese....mind you I guess a lot of the technology is!!
tbh I'm all for reducing the load. We have iPodded; netbooked; Kindled; etc. Any further reduction sounds good to me. We used to have (in fact it is still in the loft) a "portable" satelite dish; S*Y Box; DVD; along with the tele of course, in the c*r*v*n. Whilst watching TV isn't top of our priority list, it has been mentioned. Another thread I think!

In many smartphones (eg HTC's) there is an option to create a Wifi hotspot using your mobile via the "Tethering" feature. Some operators like VF may bar this function but I know that Three does not. We use for the Ipad when travelling.

Another vote for the mifi here.
Absolutely brilliant and relatively cheap.
Iphone etc with tether but the battery goes very quickly.

The Three tariff is excellent for data however they won't allow "Tethering" on the 'all you can eat' data tariff, I am on one of their standard tariffs and I get 2GB of data per month and can top up an extra 2GB for a fiver ... excellent value.

Don't forget that the 4G system will be widespread soon - might be worth finding a MiFi/dongle that is 4G compatible.

Don't think 4G is going to be available till next year at earliest.
Don't forget Telcos paid a HUGE amount for 4G licence & Frequencies just a few years ago.

Am considering buying a MiFi so I can access the internet while away in my Cali.

Use would be sporadic, so will probably opt for pay as you go.

Question is, what about use on the continent (mainly Spain & France)?
Is using a UK PAYG SIM 'sensible', or would the recommendation be to buy a PAYG SIM for each country when you get there?

Is it easy enough to buy a compatible PAYG SIM when abroad?
Costs equivalent to the UK?

TIA
Steve

Hi Steve

I normally stick to Wifi when overseas but I have purchased French Pay as you go SIM cards in the past which you can either buy before you go or from a phone shop when you get there, you will need to make sure your Mifi is SIM free though or else it will not work.

If you decide to use your own UK SIM card when abroad it will be very expensive ( around £1 per MB) or your operator might offer you an all inclusive package before you go so could be worth a phone call to them to see what they can offer.

At the end of the day Wifi is free virtually everywhere in France and you should never be far from a hotspot be it your campsite or Mcdonalds.

Martin

Ta for the rapid response Martin!

Have to admit I'm not too sure that I'd use it enough to justify the initial layout (£75?) for an unlocked MiFi - it's more just for the comfort factor - want to be sure I can access the Forum and ask my numpty questions wherever I am!

(I use Tapatalk on my iPhone ... but it isn't really mine, it's provided by my employer, and while they are happy enough to pick up my private usage bills in the UK, not sure how favourably they will look on any data roaming charges from my holidays on the continent!)

Steve

Good point you make about using Tapatalk when abroad as this will not use much data as there are no graphics to download, plus you can choose which posts you read which all saves valuable MB's.

Back