Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 Internet

S

Stu

Guest User
I use a 3G MiFi when I'm traveling and at the moment use a 3 month/3 Gb sim at around £10 a shot.

Does anyone know a more cost effective or better solution? I'd like to get on the AYCE Data Sim Only deal for £15/month but I heard that they very quickly realise you are not using it in a phone and cut you off.

For what it's worth, so far everywhere I have used it, it by far exceeds the capabilities of my home BB connection, even at home!! :laugh2 :doh

Hi Stu

I had a 3 Mifi up until 3 weeks ago and it worked great but it could get expensive as I use a lot of data.

After having read about tethering on this forum I contacted Orange to see what they could do for me as I have been a customer of theirs for a long time

They were really good and I now have an iphone that I tether to and they gave me unlimited data with it so now I don't have to worry about how much data I use. I also get free tethering which I was very pleased about

Its not quite as fast as my old Mifi but it does stream TV ok and is more than adequate for my needs

MiFi here too.

Also interested in options.

Shame the UK phone companies lock phones down so much. The iPhone has the same hub capability as the MiFi now and I have an unlimited data plan but no this feature is disabled by the carrier. Grrrrr.

Tethering isn't necessarily an option for me at the moment.

I have an iPhone on Vodafone with a 750mb data limit which is mainly swallowed up by the works VPN system and anything I do during the month. I don't worry too much if I go over the allowance as work pay for it. Mine does allow tethering and I do use it if I'm away working sometimes but the 3 system appears to have a much better setup for Data including their coverage. For example on the IoW this weekend I barely had any Vodafone signal and only 2g whereas my 3 Sim had full strength HSDPA.

I don't have any desire to move from Vodafone for normal use, I just want a data card.

I am wondering if an older iPhone with tethering enabled (if they allow it) on a 3 AYCE Sim Only plan would be an option.

Stu when I had my Mifi I had a 1 month SIM only contract with 3 which was £15 per month for 10gb

Its only meant for Mifi and not a phone have you looked into that?

JockMacMad said:
MiFi here too.

Also interested in options.

Shame the UK phone companies lock phones down so much. The iPhone has the same hub capability as the MiFi now and I have an unlimited data plan but no this feature is disabled by the carrier. Grrrrr.

I know that orange charge £5 a month for switching on the tethering but I am unsure about other carriers.

Even better if you are near the end of your contract just threaten to leave and they will usually do it for free

m4rky said:
Stu when I had my Mifi I had a 1 month SIM only contract with 3 which was £15 per month for 10gb

Its only meant for Mifi and not a phone have you looked into that?

I have yes but I feel some what agreived that for the same £15 I could get 300 mins, 3000 txt and all the data I could ever want but only if I put the sim into a phone.

We use ours as a mobile office quite often and have yet to find better costs and coverage than 3.

Shame their phone deals aren't so good!

I use 3, excellent value for money for data and i get tethering included on all my usage, also the European pass works well with unlimited data in Europe for just £5 per day.

I really like the 3 Mi Fi - it's superb and seems quite cheap to use. I have used my iphone for tethering but for example, it wouldn't let watch the IPlayer on the BBC Website - something about the 3G.

The Mi Fi is also good back up at home should there be any probs.

James

Stu said:
Does anyone know a more cost effective or better solution? I'd like to get on the AYCE Data Sim Only deal for £15/month but I heard that they very quickly realise you are not using it in a phone and cut you off.

What about putting it into an Android phone and tethering off that?

Stu said:
I am wondering if an older iPhone with tethering enabled (if they allow it) on a 3 AYCE Sim Only plan would be an option.

Tethering on iPhone is only enabled on iPhone specific tariffs. :cry:

This is interesting I may need to phone 3 to check but since iOS 4.3 the iPhone can be a mobile hotspot. I believed it was turned off by all UK operators and if you enabled it the data was not from your unlimited allowance but charged for. It seems that is the case with one exception the 3 One Plan for Mobile Phone on subscription (not PAYG). This is what I found on TechRadar:-

Three iPhone Wi-Fi hotspots
We already know that on Three's One Plan, which features all you can eat data, tethering is already allowed, and Three has confirmed that to TechRadar, saying: "On The One Plan Three gives customers all-you-eat-data, which includes allowing them to use their phone as a modem for tethering, so customers on The One Plan are free to use the Personal Hotspot feature as they like without incurring any additional charges."

this what I needed as both the wife and I use the wifi at the same time so the hotspot feature is the very puppy we needed.

Rilla said:
Stu said:

Would that overcome the Tethering lockout for iPhone discussed above?

Stu said:
Rilla said:
Stu said:

Would that overcome the Tethering lockout for iPhone discussed above?

I think it does Stu, I'm now going to look into doing it myself :mrgreen:

Back