Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MiFi question - wireless hotspots aswell as 3G?

beardie

beardie

Hi,

Have been doing some research on the 3G MiFi boxes available. None seem to claim that they will also connect to a campsite wireless hotspot when you dont have 3G or when you want to use lots of data (streaming video).

There seem to be some solutions that involve several boxes plugged together (Alfa R36 + Alfa awus036H + 3G dongle) but this involves plugging stuff in and out which isnt alway convenient.

I need the wireless hotspot router functionality because I have several devices that need to share the connection (3G or campsite wireless)

Any suggestions ?

We have a Mifi from 3 - it's great, ona 15GB a month deal which is loads. As far as I know it is solely 3G that it uses for its web connection, you can then connect 5 simultaneous devices to it - but you do need the 3G coverage first..

Ian

Seen those, good but I want something that switches to wifi when you arrive at site and either there is no 3G or I need faster bandwidth. I use catch up tv app that allow u to stream tv through an iPad. Not sure 15gig would last long or be quick enough it was available
Thanks

Surely your iPad can use the campsite WiFi when you are there? Are you thinking the signal at the iPad may not be strong enough?
Just my 2 cents as they say....

I've got an iPad, phone and laptop that need to use the camp wifi, could connect them all separately but at 3 x the cost. Makes more sense if they stay connected to the router and the router either connects to campsite wifi or 3G
Thanks

Beardie,

I am only moderately knowledgeable on all this, but I think you could achieve what you want with an access point with repeater functionality. It would need 240v power but not much. I use a Draytek Vigor AP700 for something similar but there are others available, I believe. On arrival at any site you would need to connect the access point repeater to a computer by cable and add the correct camp site log in details, then contrary to normal repeater protocol leave a different log in for the repeated function.

PETER M

I'm not aware of a single hotspot device that does cellular and wifi.

Have you considered something like this: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/ib ... al-system/

Think I've read that it should be able to pick up any open wifi networks within around 1km, although I guess that depends on the local hills, trees, tall buildings and winnebagos...

dan

Back