Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin discount today

I'm not in the market for new tyres but nice to let others know. :thumb

Black Circles were also showing a gbp 40 discount on a set of Michelins a couple of days ago. I doubt that the two offers can be combined but I generally find their prices to be pretty competitive

Useful, thanks. I’m going round the houses with tyres. Buying another set of Davenports to fit some tyres more suited to winter use. My challenge is that I live pretty rurally and BFG’s (225/65/17) would be the ‘toughest’ choice. Then I see Michelin Lattitude Cross (235/55/17) and think they might be a good, slightly more civilised option but won’t be as strong. Any experience of these?

Useful, thanks. I’m going round the houses with tyres. Buying another set of Davenports to fit some tyres more suited to winter use. My challenge is that I live pretty rurally and BFG’s (225/65/17) would be the ‘toughest’ choice. Then I see Michelin Lattitude Cross (235/55/17) and think they might be a good, slightly more civilised option but won’t be as strong. Any experience of these?
Please correct me but is the performance of BFG tires on the road substantially inferior to decent regular types both winter and summer?

Please correct me but is the performance of BFG tires on the road substantially inferior to decent regular types both winter and summer?

No doubt, but the BFG’s are tough as old boots and will destroy winter tyres in the snow. I’d fit General Grabber AT3 but the load rating is 102 so not enough for a Cali.

Really ? I thought Winter tyres were designed for snow and BFG all terrain.

Depends on your application really. I’d take decent AT’s over winters every time.

Just a comment from my own experience of tyres on my California - it is worth checking the acoustic performance of tyres as there is quite a difference, and the noise of some options can be significantly greater, at least subjectively!

Look at the SUV version of Crossclimate, beefed up sidewalls and slight tread change to clear stones etc out better.
I'm intending to go to the 235/60/17 106V next time.

Last edited:
Look at the SUV version of Crossclimate, beefed up sidewalls and slight tread change to clear stones etc out better.
I'm intending to go to the 235/60/17 106V next time.

Thanks, they do look quite good. They do them in 235/55/17 which is the OEM tyre size and plated on the vehicle. Is there a potential insurance problem using 235/60/17? Also, a spare with that tyre size might not fit in the cradle underneath?

Thanks, they do look quite good. They do them in 235/55/17 which is the OEM tyre size and plated on the vehicle. Is there a potential insurance problem using 235/60/17? Also, a spare with that tyre size might not fit in the cradle underneath?
yes in 235/55/17 103V Oddly £14 per tyre dearer than the 60 aspect ratio.

Decision made. Going for 5 x Cooper Discoverer All Season, in 225/65/17, so a decent bit of profile. They are 106V rated so should be pretty strong, as well as 3 peak snowflake M+S. Will get a steel spare from tyreleader (might need to deflate slightly) and run the summer wheels / tyres from April - September.

Decision made. Going for 5 x Cooper Discoverer All Season, in 225/65/17, so a decent bit of profile. They are 106V rated so should be pretty strong, as well as 3 peak snowflake M+S. Will get a steel spare from tyreleader (might need to deflate slightly) and run the summer wheels / tyres from April - September.
Why 225? For 65 profile the width is 215. (unless 225 is a typo?). Running a non standard tyre I suspect will mean telling your insurance, and you'll change the gear ratios very slightly.
I'm not being a jobsworth... Just trying to help.

Why 225? For 65 profile the width is 215. (unless 225 is a typo?). Running a non standard tyre I suspect will mean telling your insurance, and you'll change the gear ratios very slightly.

The 215’s are only 99 load rating. Spoke to insurer, they said as long as load rating was correct (103 or above), no problem. The speedo will probably be spot on (they usually over read), will be interesting to see what tomtom says. They are the same size as many people run BFG’s with.

I think 215/65 is for 16", the 17" 215 is 215/60 r17. @Elmo the Ocean 's choice of tire size will affect speedometer/odometer, as well as transmission ratios. It also may affect ACC if he has it, along with other electronic handling controls.

I think 215/65 is for 16", the 17" 215 is 215/60 r17. @Elmo the Ocean 's choice of tire size will affect speedometer/odometer, as well as transmission ratios. It also may affect ACC if he has it, along with other electronic handling controls.

Mine‘s a manual with cruise but not ACC. Many run this size with all terrains with no problem.

Mine‘s a manual with cruise but not ACC. Many run this size with all terrains with no problem.
Ok, I'm sure you've done your homework. Just a note that the load rating on my Bridgestone Blizzak LM 215/65R 16s is 106/104T.

Sorry, I've just gone from 17s to 16s and getting a bit muddled. We agree they are not a standard size though (I think!)

Sorry, I've just gone from 17s to 16s and getting a bit muddled. We agree they are not a standard size though (I think!)

Correct, they have a 4.69% bigger circumference than the 235/55/17 or 215/60/17 and a 17mm gain in ride height. Plenty of room in the arches from all accounts.