Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All season tyres novice

Good points. I still wouldn’t want to replace a tyre myself on a smart motorway though.
Agree. A friend of mine last year had a blowout in Germany on the autobahn. No spare so had to wait for recovery who low-loaded to a service station. After an overnight wait the tyre shop had to order a spare which luckily arrived that day but took nearly 24 hours. I carry a spare even if I let the AA truck change it.

Agree. A friend of mine last year had a blowout in Germany on the autobahn. No spare so had to wait for recovery who low-loaded to a service station. After an overnight wait the tyre shop had to order a spare which luckily arrived that day but took nearly 24 hours. I carry a spare even if I let the AA truck change it.
Good points again. I’ll stick with my original spec.

Having the all season will make a big difference when the weather is bad.
I did a test last year. Works van has summer tyres fitted. Cali, CrossClimates.
Tested on the same piece of road, private.

The Cali got to the top of the hill and drove very sure footed in the snow, 2wd version too. No slip, no sliding.
My works van was a complete nightmare. I got to the top of the hill, with real effort. Wheels spinning. Driving back down was awful, to a point it felt dangerous.

The AS are worth having for those days when the weather is bad. You know if you don’t fit them, we will have a bad winter and you will be kicking yourself…

That was what sticks in my mind from School days, actually The Gordon Schools, Huntly. All to do with the Gulf Stream.

I am an All Season advocate.
I have almost got caught in the glens of foudland a couple of times. No tyres make a difference there once it starts drifting!! I used to spend time in Wartle when I was younger and regularly got snowed in. On the coast now so much milder although we have had snow a couple of times already and had quite a lot in April this year. One of the biggest problems is ground clearance for my car..

Back