Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mid life crisis Cali Swamper!

Where did you purchase your flares and a DIY job?

It was all done by t5 upgrades - Monotube wheels & AT’s, bilstein suspension & lift, wheel arches, rock sliders & laser lamps. This was before post pandemic inflation!

I’m going back in the NY for some underbody protection for a couple of trips I have planned next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d personally go for either the 1st wheel photo above - all look good but these look to be the easiest to clean! :D
Ha only problem with that set is that my neighbour has them on his Sprinter conversion so I feel like I need something different. They look good on his van though, that’s for sure.

I’m looking at some faux beadlock modular steels in matt black for an Ascot Grey van.

I love the look of BFG A/T, but I hear quite noisy over 50mph. And it’s a family camper van so I need to think of the wife & child. And I doubt I’ll be taking it anywhere rugged enough to need A/T as it’s FWD.

Falkens get great reviews and are cheaper. But BFG are so iconic.

Anyone with experience of K02s? Pros and cons? It’s not a daily, so mpg although a small concern, isn’t primary.

Tyres seem a bit of a minefield to me, was looking at the General AT3s the other day but want to work out what alloys I’ll buy first and then move on to the tyres.

My van’s Fortana Red, toyed with the idea of black and sand and also gun metal grey but think I’ve settled on black, looks pretty nice in the pic at the bottom (think that one’s running Fuel Zephyrs with BFG KO2s and been raised a bit). Just need to pick between all these now, I like them all!

View attachment 117368

View attachment 117369

View attachment 117370

View attachment 117371

View attachment 117372

View attachment 117373

View attachment 117374
Love the second ones down. Though any would be a nice complement, I'm sure.

CS

I’m looking at some faux beadlock modular steels in matt black for an Ascot Grey van.

I love the look of BFG A/T, but I hear quite noisy over 50mph. And it’s a family camper van so I need to think of the wife & child. And I doubt I’ll be taking it anywhere rugged enough to need A/T as it’s FWD.

Falkens get great reviews and are cheaper. But BFG are so iconic.

Anyone with experience of K02s? Pros and cons? It’s not a daily, so mpg although a small concern, isn’t primary.

I have them on 18” rims. There is a bit of noise but nothing excessive, a bigger issue IMO is the ride is quite harsh (mine are load rated to 109 though, so very beefy side walls). So for a family van in the KO2’s I suspect 17” rims and a lower load rating would be a better compromise. I have heard the Falkens are quieter and more supple and look pretty good.

These are my dream wheels but hens teeth comes to mind. If anyone has a lead on a set please let me know, especially on the Continent. Hutchinson beadlock
WA1818.jpg

Yeah they’re very nice, can’t find any that even look like them! Good luck with the search.

From my list I think I’m leaning towards the Fuel Zephyr or the Axe AT4, found this pic of the Axe ones and think they look great.

IMG_1852.jpeg

These are my dream wheels but hens teeth comes to mind. If anyone has a lead on a set please let me know, especially on the Continent. Hutchinson beadlock
View attachment 117418

Look quite similar to the Black Rhino Warlords? They are quite freely available here in the UK

Look quite similar to the Black Rhino Warlords? They are quite freely available here in the UK

Fuel do a few that look a bit like them as well, worth a look here:

IMG_1854.jpeg

IMG_1853.jpeg

Not really a fan of the faux beadlock look.

Interesting that in Norther Norway where I saw lots of Transporters driven by locals all had standard suspension , and standard 17" steel wheels.

Interesting that in Norther Norway where I saw lots of Transporters driven by locals all had standard suspension , and standard 17" steel wheels.
Oh the swamper thing is most definitely about aesthetics over function for me. No different to the current trend for having the VW Sports Pack really…there is absolutely nothing sporty about a 3 ton vehicle classified as a motorhome on its V5C but it looks good :)

The tyres are a different story, I don’t have a 4Motion so think having AT tyres will come in useful at times.

Last edited:
Oh the swamper thing is most definitely about aesthetics over function for me. No different to the current trend for having the VW Sports Pack really…there is absolutely nothing sporty about a 3 ton vehicle classified as a motorhome on its V5C but it looks good :)
Kinda like installing spoilers, bodykits, ground effects lighting (eww) and 20" wheels. Totally pointless but owners just prefer the look and individualism they offer amongst a plethora of stock Transporters.

Which is absolutely fine if the intention is to stick to groomed roads where tyres and keeping the engine temperatures up are the main consideration. It’s perfectly possible to drive in the arctic circle with 2WD if you stick to the roads and lots of people do.

There is also a burgeoning off road scene in Norway with some seriously pimped vehicles with heavily modified Landrovers being a particular favourite.

On that subject I’ve been trying (and failing) for months to get a couple of new beadlocks for my Twin Monotubes but no one seems to stock them in the UK. I might have to try Germany

Not really a fan of the faux beadlock look.
A purist. But for the added spend of real beadlocks, are you going rock crawling with 15psi tyres?

I can’t justify the up-spend for my use case sadly.

Kinda like installing spoilers, bodykits, ground effects lighting (eww) and 20" wheels. Totally pointless but owners just prefer the look and individualism they offer amongst a plethora of stock Transporters.
Yuck!

Which is absolutely fine if the intention is to stick to groomed roads where tyres and keeping the engine temperatures up are the main consideration. It’s perfectly possible to drive in the arctic circle with 2WD if you stick to the roads and lots of people do.

There is also a burgeoning off road scene in Norway with some seriously pimped vehicles with heavily modified Landrovers being a particular favourite.

I don’t think the locals were keeping just to roads .

You may be aware but General Graber AT3 are available in 235/55/17 10rH as a direct gearing match and no need for lifted suspension.
Another note.
When I had 235/60/17 SUV tyres fitted to 7.5"x17 rims the fitter had a job getting the beads to go out to the rims, 8" rims would be more of a problem.
The unidirectional tyre I had was marked as being for a 7" rim fitment.
I only mentioned this as many 'Swamper' rims seem to be 8" width. Probably as mainly designed for the VW Amorak.

I don’t think the locals were keeping just to roads .

Were you driving off road in Northern Norway then to inform this observation? Having lived in Norway and having family still there their roads are very well maintained and of course have little traffic. Many Norwegian families (including my own) own cabins in pretty remote locations but they are almost always served by accessible roads. In some areas they will even drive on frozen lakes in winter which again with the correct tyres is perfectly possible in 2WD vehicle. When they do go properly off road they do so in very capable vehicles. As well as being a very lucrative market for Teslas the Norwegians buy a lot of quad bikes and ATV's!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I only mentioned this as many 'Swamper' rims seem to be 8" width. Probably as mainly designed for the VW Amorak.
Yes, you're correct. The Hutchinson's I referenced are designed for the Amarok
Hutchinson.jpg

Were you driving off road in Northern Norway then to inform this observation? Having lived in Norway and having family still there their roads are very well maintained and of course have little traffic. Many Norwegian families (including my own) own cabins in pretty remote locations but they are almost always served by accessible roads. In some areas they will even drive on frozen lakes in winter which again with the correct tyres is perfectly possible in 2WD vehicle. When they do go properly off road they do so in very capable vehicles. As well as being a very lucrative market for Teslas the Norwegians buy a lot of quad bikes and ATV's!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not extreme off- roading, done enough of that in the past, but the locals driving down rutted tracks to their fishing huts or chalets in snow, slush and icy or blizzard conditions. Yes, they had the correct tyres on standard steel wheels. Function over form.

Not extreme off- roading, done enough of that in the past, but the locals driving down rutted tracks to their fishing huts or chalets in snow, slush and icy or blizzard conditions. Yes, they had the correct tyres on standard steel wheels. Function over form.

Steel wheels make a lot of sense. Big alloys (guilty) are definitely form over function. Raised suspension has real tangible benefits off road for obvious reasons

The tyres are a different story, I don’t have a 4Motion so think having AT tyres will come in useful at times.
I have Michelin Crossclimate Agilis on my Beach, love them. I’ve been over unplowed icy mountain passes at -10C and 2000m with no chains, since they have the 3 mountain logo legally accepted as a winter tire. So far 35,000km with no noticeable wear according to the scale in the tread. Yes, they were expensive, but the best tires are number one priority for me, and from current wear rate it looks like they will wind up cheaper in the end. B6138942-1D1C-467A-92FB-5158E398FD96.jpeg946966C8-1BEF-4861-ADEC-5CC735C00699.jpeg11FDC5CA-1056-466B-82B4-C526974B5B01.jpeg

Last edited: